1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius JBL Speakers not removable?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kwidjaja, Dec 29, 2006.

1. kwidjaja

kwidjaja New Member

I just got a 2007 Prius, package 5 (NL), which has the JBL 9 speaker system. I wanted to replace the door woofers with some after marker speakers. Looking at some of the posts this didn't seem to be too hard.

However, my speakers are not held in place with the 4 philips screws, unlike the other posts that I saw. Either the screws are hidden under the orange foam, or the speaker is glued to the black plastic mounting ring.

Does anyone know how to remove the woofers from a 2007 Prius with JBL?

Thanks

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gas hog @ Dec 29 2006, 12:08 AM) [snapback]368076[/snapback]</div>
    Ignore the trolls, Kristian. Welcome to PriusChat!

The speakers are held to the plastic rings with four phillips screws, hidden under the foam band. Look carefully. Many speaker suggestions in this forum.

C Wagner likes this.
  3. rice.craig

rice.craig New Member

Unfortunately on the 2007 (or at least in mine) the plastic ring and the speaker components are one integrated unit. You could with a Dremel tool or coping saw cut the speaker elements out and retain the spacer ring, but it's easier to make a new support ring out of MDF. Check out DocVijay's posts http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=24633&hl= and his website http://mysite.verizon.net/ressmxii/id7.html for an excellent discription on how he did this. It's a fairly straight forward job.

Note: Scosche makes some plastic "universal adapter rings and spacers". Don't buy these! The quality is terrible, and they don't fit at least one 6.5" speaker, i.e. the CDT CL61's I installed.

Have fun with your new speakers! Although I've done a fairly extensive install...

Amp: Alpine MRP-F250
    Audiocontrol LC-8 to sum front signals and control sub
    Audiocontrol EQL to even out the JBL amps highly processed signals
    Front: CDT audiio CL-61A-25PRO 6.5" components
    Rear: CDT audio CL-6EX 6.5" co-axials
    Sub: CDT audio EF-8 8" subwoofer

... just replacing the JBL's with "real" speakers gave a huge improvement--perhaps 2/3 of the ultimate improvement--to the sound system.

C Wagner and toddrav like this.
  4. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2007 Prius package 2, so I don't have the JBL system. The sound is terrible. I occasionally drive my father's 1999 Buick LeSabre and I don't know what system is in it, but it sounds wonderful.

Can you give me any recommendations as to what brand of speakers I could use to replace the front ones? Is this something that a place like Best Buy could install? I know very little about speaker systems, but I do appreciate quality sound.

Thanks so much.

Joanne

C Wagner likes this.
  5. toddrav

toddrav Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the clarity and DIY (links broken).
    I was so excited to be getting my speakers installed today when I discovered the same issue.
    Another trip to HomeDepot.

C Wagner likes this.
  6. C Wagner

C Wagner Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some may find, like me, that even after removing the 4 phillips screws partially hidden under the orange ring, that the speaker sill doesn't want to come out from the plastic support. I am currently figuring why/how to remove, but what did others try? On Youtube there are quite a few videos suggesting drilling out the rivets that hold the plastic support and using aftermarket. I've had good luck in the past refoaming speakers with white fabric glue, so want to avoid the de-rivet/replace with aftermarket route, if possible. Thx