1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius liftgate supports

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by unmesh59, Oct 13, 2012.

1. unmesh59

unmesh59 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've seen some old threads about saggy gas-assisted supports and how to replace them and had a related question.

My supports are not saggy but we've been using the so-called garnish element that houses the liftgate release switch and the licence plate light to begin lifting the liftgate and have now broken that element. Apparently we should not have been doing that but the liftgate does not lift enough on its own to get fingers under its edge to do the lifting and I'm wondering if we do need to replace the supports after all.

When you press the release switch, how much does the liftgate move up for you guys?

Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    on my 08, it used to pop the lock, then i would have to lift a few inches before it started going up on it's own.

3. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I pressed my button it would just release the lock. If I didn't lift it wouldnt move.

4. unmesh59

unmesh59 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, guys.

Mine doesn't move either and there is no good place to get a grip to lift it up :(

5. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe it is not releasing the latch (unlocking) fast enough? I've almost ripped a few of those off when that happened. Make sure you hear it pop before pulling up. Also, check the 12V battery as slow unlocking is one a the signs of a bad battery.