1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius loud whirring (wuv wuv wuv) noise when driving at any speed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RomeSC, May 29, 2013.

1. RomeSC

RomeSC New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all. So frustrated to be posting this only days after buying this car used.

My 2007 Prius started making this really annoying whurring sound when driving at any speed. Not like a standard engine or electric motor sound. It is a cyclical sound, sounds like "wuv wuv wuv wuv wuv" when driving.

It is loud enough to hear with all the windows closed, and is even louder when the windows open. When passing anything vertical and flat (median, close building, parked cars) the sound reverberates off the surface and is VERY loud to those in the car.

The car was making a electric revving type sound since I bought it when driving, more noticable when passing vertical objects, but I just assumed it was part of the noises the car makes. Now this new whurring wuv wuv wuv noise started this morning and I don't know whats wrong. I had an appointment with the dealership to get an alignment done tomorrow afternoon, and of course I will bring up the noise. But I have no money for repairs right now, and the thought of repairing anything on a car I bought less than a week ago makes me sick.

Sorry for the silly description of the noise, I don't know how else to describe it. Any thoughts?

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Front wheel bearings, a stick in the brakes, a playing card rubbing a spoke
    Bear with the expense, fix what's incorrect, the car will be spectacular:)

I'm thinking bearings

3. azsaxguy

azsaxguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2007, purchased new and now has 99k miles. That noise has never been part of the car. I like the wheel bearing comment. Sounds likely. I've never had wheel bearing problems with mine.

Be aware that there have been several recalls on this model and you need to be sure they've been done. The evap cooling system pump is one and will shut you down if it fails. Another is a steering column problem that could cause complete loss of steering if it fails. Toyota did them all at no cost to me. They will check the vin to see if they have been done.

4. RomeSC

RomeSC New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies! I would assume any recalls would have been done, given that this car was a trade-in at this toyota dealership and then they sold it to me. Would be pretty bad form for them to not address recalls before a sale.

This dealer gives a 1500 mile bumper to bumper warranty, and a 6000 mile power-train warranty on its used cars. I would have to assume wheel bearings would be covered on a bumper to bumper warranty. Just odd that this noise progressed so fast.

Also, I have been hearing a terrible whining high pitch gurgly noise on start-up and shut-down on the two days where it was cold after I bought the car. Found out it is likely this : T-SB-0087-08 "Abnormal Noise from Coolant Heat Storage Water Pump". But now it warmed up considerably today and the car didn't make the noise. Had I known at the time what it was I would have recorded it before it got warmer. If they refuse to replace it because they can't replicate the noise because it's warm I'm going to be mad.

I don't know of any steering column problem, but it sounds pretty serious. Hopefully it's already done. Just puts a bad taste in my mouth to have problems with a car I've had for such a short time. I have bought old beater cars for $1000 that didn't need to see a repair shop until 2 years after purchase... but here I am first week... Bah. Not trying to be negative, just frustrated. I guess I'll find out everything tomorrow.

5. RomeSC

RomeSC New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not a mechanically inclined car guy, but I am a research guy. I just looked up various videos about front wheel bearings, and they do not sound like what I am hearing with my car. Also this noise is present even if only traveling 5 mph. And its not a rumble sound at all, it almost sounds like if you have ever had something like a handcrank electric flashlight or something, that winding electrical woom woom woom sound as you crank it. Its like that, but loud, consistent, and just started today. So odd to describe. Bah! lol

6. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Feel the tops of the tires and see if they are maybe cupped or scalloped. This will also cause that noise. Just rub a flat hand across the tire tread and see if it is smooth. If you can feel and up and down pattern on the inside or outside edge then the tires are most likely the culprit. If this is the case you will need to replace the tires and fix the cause of the problem.....either tire pressure, alignment or struts. or a combination.

7. travelon

travelon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Have a 2007 with nearly 200,000 miles on it. Took a road trip up to Northern California fron SoCal last weekend and on the way home, heard this noise also. Hard to describe but I have to concur with your description. Thought it might be the rear tire. Took it in and it was the Wheel Bearing. Right Rear.

chobesoy likes this.
  8. RomeSC

RomeSC New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the dealership decided to machine the rotors smooth and guess what... noise went away (almost entirely) So it appars it was something really simple, and they didn't charge me for the repair given that they should have done this before I took delivery of the car. They would not, however, fix the crazy noise from the water pump service bulletin because it was 88 degrees the day at the shop and the car didn't make the noise in the heat. They also did the alignment for free.

So for anyone else who has the same problem in the future, it might be as simple as needing new or resurfaced rotors!

9. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the update, I forget about rusty rotors; before having work done its been suggested here to try some heavy braking - while placing the car in neutral - to maximize the brake pads abrasion on the rotors when the condition that you described occurs .

10. Michael Corrigan

Michael Corrigan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2004 and it started up last year. I am about due for front breaks so I will wait to see if new rotors will stop it.

11. Michael Corrigan

Michael Corrigan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2004 and noisy wuv wuv sound coming from front left wheel started last year. Just replaced all the tires yesterday as they were due and the noise is still there. I am about due for front breaks so I will wait to see if new rotors will stop it.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wheel bearing? constant velocity joint?