1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 prius MFD not working properly

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by shelly75, Jan 18, 2013.

1. shelly75

shelly75 Junior Member

Hello
    I have 2007 prius. While driving down from Toronto to New York, something happened to the MFD buttons. Since I did not have an updated map, we used an another hand held GPS along with prius GPS. My friend put his hand held GPS on the MFD screen using the suction cup that comes with his GPS. After we reached the destination, he took out his GPS and in the process, scratched the MFD screen. The scratch is minor. The next morning when I tried to put in the address, some of the touch buttons on the key pad of the MFD did not work. I tried fan speed in climate control but only the button for Medium, and last two High speed would work. Temp. control "up" and "down" works fine. Audio, again I can only change 2-3 stations and on C.D. changer, I can only change 3 C.D`s. The trip information screen is displaying properly and the back-up camera is working fine. I took the car to a dealer and they are going to take out the MFD screen and send it in for diagnostics. Is there any thing i can do at home to rectify this problem.
    Thanks.

2. gmcneil05

gmcneil05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I hope you don't mean you actually suctioned the cup to the screen. That could have pulled the different layers apart that make the screen touch sensitive and would make the buttons in that area un responsive.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the gen II forums from the Prius c forums.

4. shelly75

shelly75 Junior Member

yes unfortunately, he did suctioned the GPS on the screen. Looks like I have to get a new MFD. is there any other way to repair the screen???????

5. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    used mfd from ebay...

koolingit likes this.
  6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The screen could be damaged is it a scratch or is the glass under the overlay cracked?

John (Britprius)

7. shelly75

shelly75 Junior Member

It's a scratch. The glass is not cracked

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It is likely that the vacuum behind the "suction" cup has separated the touch screen overlay. Try warming it with a hair dryer and the pressing on it with a cloth folded to form a pad. I have on two occasions repaired touch screens in this way, but no guarantees. Failing this a replacement off Ebay or a breaker.

I know to late for you but nothing should be attached to touch screens.

John (Bitprius)