1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius No Start After Pulling EFI Fuse

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Phillip W. Hopkins, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Phillip W. Hopkins

Phillip W. Hopkins New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New to theforum and new to Prius. So far I love the car, sad to say I went from a Duramax to this Prius and love it.

Car runs and drives great but due to some family disputes I pulled the EFI fuse under the hood to disable the car and now I cant get it to start.I replaced the fuse, tried disconnecting battery and jump starting with jumper cables. All the lights on the dash are on including the red triangle and the car with exclamation point on the touch screen. I have access to a Snap-On Solus but haven't tried clearing codes with OBD Scanner yet. Hoping someone can chime in and set me in the right direction to get it going again.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Measure the voltage across the 12V battery.
    2. How do you know someone else didn’t have the bright idea to do something else to disable the vehicle.
    3. When the 12V battery is disconnected, that will clear all DTC except any codes logged by the SRS and skid control ECUs.

edthefox5 and SFO like this.
  3. Phillip W. Hopkins

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried unhooking battery overnight and still get the big red triangle and the red car with ! on the touch screen, as well as all the other indicator lights. It wont go into drive or reverse just neutral. While I had the fuse out I had the 12Vattery on charge just in case, but I dont have a volt meter handy. When I tried boosting it off (Tried hoooking directly to battery and under hood) still same problem.

If someone pulled the big orange fuse on the hybrid battery and just put it right back in would that cause any issues.

Anyone know what personality key I would need for my Snap on Solus to read and cear codes on a 2007 Prius?

4. Phillip W. Hopkins

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Before removing the EFI fuse the car ran and drove perfect, no problems what so ever. Just made a 3500 mile road trip the week up to the car being disabled. I did pull the big orange fuse/breaker on the Hybrid Battery not realizing what it was, when i realized i promptly put it back in. My Ex tried starting the car I told her something was wrong she drove a circle in the yard then all the lights came on and would only allow neutral or park on the gear selector. Parked it charged battery fr a whole day (was a trickle charger). Placed fuse back in removed battery couple times to try to reset it with no luck so left it off all that night and tried again with same symptoms.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Regarding the orange traction battery interlock, you must pivot the lever 90 degrees after inserting the interlock, then slide the lever down to lock in place. Often, that last step is not performed.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow you think someone knows enough about a Prius to pull the orange safety interlock to mess with you?

The Prius is difficult enough to repair without an added suspicion that somebody is messing with you.

If i was there I would get my volt meter and measure the front jump points 12 volts. Should be around 12.5 volts. With car off.

With car off turn on the headlights in high beam. Keep them on and measure the jump point again with car off lights on about 5 minutes later. Should hold at least to 11.9 to be able to boot the car.
    My car has a pretty good 2 years old yellowtop and it does not drop one volt in this test.

If that’s ok you have hybrid battery issues. The hybrid battery powers the electric motor that is used to turn over the engine. No hybrid batttery no start.

Only way to fix that is harvest the hybrid codes it’s throwing to confirm this. You must know what the car is unhappy about. Without codes its all just a guess.

Please use the search forum button up top and search

Techstream.

Theres many discussions of the obd code readers available that all must have toyota techstream software to harvest the codes properly. There's also a android torque app that requirs a blue tooth obd elm cable but it does not have techstream.

But I’m pretty sure you have a bad hybrid battery. Its a 2007 there all dying including mine.

#6 edthefox5, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    What time span are we looking at here?