1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius NOT eligible for HOV stickers (yet)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by VinceDee, Oct 3, 2006.

1. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

I am trying to go through the rather laborious process of applying for the California HOV stickers for my new 2007 Prius, but ran up against a stiff roadblock. Apparently, the California Air Resources Board (CARB) doesn't have the 2007 Toyota Prius listed on their website yet (or in their database at all) as an HOV eligible car, so they told me that they would reject any applications sent in for a '07 Prius as of right now. They also told me (via telephone) that it was up to Toyota to certify the '07 Prius as being eligible with the ARB.

Okay, so I called Toyota to ask about this certification process. Toyota told me that, as far as they know, the Prius is already certified as a PZEV and therefore already eligible for the HOV stickers. They suggested I call the ARB back and escalate my request until somebody has an answer (I immediately tried, but they're closed for the day). I'm guessing that they'll pass the buck, again, when I do call. <_<

Question: Has anyone gotten any better information about how to successfully apply for the HOV stickers, even though the 2007 Prius isn't yet listed as eligible for them?

I don't think the issue is whether it will eventually be listed, as I'm sure it will, but whether the applications can be processed yet since the car isn't in the ARB database. I'm pushing the issue at this point because I want to be sure that those of us who just bought '07s don't get delayed so long that the new batch of stickers runs out.

Vince

2. cbc

cbc New Member

Wow, I almost pursued this today, but got sidetracked by something else. Yuck. Please keep us informed on any progress.

Thanks!

3. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

UPDATE: I called ARB again just now and they told me that the 2007 does indeed qualify, even though it's not listed on their website. Nothing like a little inconsistency in their customer service. <_<

Vince

4. hubblepl

hubblepl New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Oct 4 2006, 12:59 PM) [snapback]327968[/snapback]</div>
    Did you find out anything more about getting the sticker? I'm picking up my Prius tonight and getting those stickers was one of the reasons.

5. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(plee @ Oct 5 2006, 10:23 AM) [snapback]328510[/snapback]</div>
    Apparently, you have to have a license plate number before you can send the paperwork in. The VIN alone won't do <_< Once you have the license, though, you can apply. That's my understanding.

Vince

6. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    According to the Mr. RoadShow columnist (or San Jose Mercury News), you absolutely need the license plate number assigned before you could get the stickers from DMV if you live in one of the 8(or 9) counties that require you to get the FasTrak transponder. Otherwise, you don't need to wait for the license plate number assigned.

But who knows! DMV is not known for their consistency. Try your luck.

7. billbarlow

billbarlow New Member

GOOD NEWS for 2007 Owners (myself included)!

Around 7:30 AM, Oct 11, I emailed the Clerk of the Air Resources Board, who in turn forwarded my inquiry to the appropraite Staff Member. By 2:30 that same afternoon, I received this reply from the ARB's John Swanton:

Thank you for your message regarding the 2007 Toyota Prius. This vehicle is eligible for the HOV lane single occupant program and the list has been updated to reflect this fact. Should you have any questions or need further assistance please contact us at (800) 242-4450.

Incredibly reponsive, in my option -- and correct as well, because when I visited their site I found that they had indeed updated the list that very day (as evidenced by the site's October 11th revision date)!

SEE UPDATED LIST AT:
    http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

MORE GOOD NEWS

The IRS has also ruled in favor of the 2007 Prius, for purposes of Tax Credit:
    SEE POSTING AT:
    http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=163103,00.html