1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius phones-Cingular-with Navigation-Help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by I give up, Apr 6, 2007.

1. I give up

I give up New Member

We have a 2007 Prius, with Navigation, and I looked at the Cingular phones available. Confusing.

We are around 60, not interested in games or music thru our phone. Text messaging, hands free, voice operation are good. There was a list of 25 or 30 things to look for and honestly folks, I only understood about
    half of the options.

When I went to the Toyota website, typed in my provider, Multi-Use (for easy emails..right? Typewriter sort of
    keyboard) and voice activated dialing...I had 5 choices.

The Nokia E62 looked like the simplest to operate and is real cheap in price (THAT should tell me something I
    guess, but remember, MP3, etc....we don't care about).

One thing they mention is Transfer multiple phonebook entries to the handsfree system at once. Another area is inputting only one phone number...those sound important to me. So the Cingular 8125 is out.

Nokia E-62
    It won't switch from private mode to handsfree mode while using the handsfree system transfer function. Do you care about that? The thing that shocks me is that some of these phones don't recharge while plugged into the car...or did I read that wrong?

My wife's car. She wants functionality over flash (Hmmmm, I think I just hurt my own feelings...), anyway,
    any suggestions with Cingular appreciated. Or I may just buy my contract out and switch. I like them and they used to be in a LOT of places T-Mobile hasn't been in...on the west coast. Maybe not anymore.

We will probably get two of any phone we go into, so cost is a factor.

If you go to the page suggested by my dealer, enter the parameters YOU want, then only change the Service Provider, you can see right quick who is seemingly offering the most options.

Verizon Wireless has one
    T-Mobile has 3
    Sprint has one
    Nextel has two
    Cingular has 5

All I asked for was Voice Activated Dialing and Multi-Use/PDA Planner.

I really like the idea of having Microsoft Word on the Nokia E-62, but loading numbers in might be a real pain.
    In my area, on the west coast, I can get this phone for $29 and a 2 year committment. I MUST be missing something here. Darned pain meds make it hard to understand some of this stuff.
    Thanks for any help, sorry this is so long, but I am hoping I gave enough info that you don't have to guess what we want.

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hope it works @ Apr 6 2007, 04:31 PM) [snapback]419098[/snapback]</div>

That webpage that you went to must be so insanely out of date.

3. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hope it works @ Apr 6 2007, 07:31 PM) [snapback]419098[/snapback]</div>
    The E62 is cheap because it's a bit out of date.

However... it's a pretty good phone if you can handle the form factor. Navigation software is readily available and the BT is passable with the Prius. Don't expect to transfer all of your #s over at once, but that's more a function of the half-assed BT implementation on the Prius, not a fault of the phone.