1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius Red Triangle and P0A80 + P03013

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pt80chip, Jul 7, 2019.

1. pt80chip

pt80chip New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone, long time time lurker.
    I have an 2007 Prius, about 100k miles on it. About 2 weeks ago it got the red triangle and a check engine light.
    Torque returns the following codes:
    P0A80 - Current Fault
    P3013 - Pending Fault

It also says
    HV battery block with highest voltage is #2, reading in at 16.71 Volts
    HV battery block with lowest voltage is #3, reading in at 16.64 Volts

A few other things that I noticed
    1 - The hybrid battery fan seems to be running at all times.
    2 - If I turn the A/C on the engine constantly runs and the hybrid battery shows 1 bar and charging. If I turn the air off, then it does charge. If I turn the air back on, it very quickly drains back to 1 bar on the screen.
    3 - If I accelerate from a red light, it has no power for a few seconds, then it seems as though the acceleration
    "catches"
    4 - As a test, I floored it on the highway, the revs went all the way up, then dropped, then went all the way up, then dropped, then finally went up and stayed all the way up.

I'm fairly good with my hands but have limited time to work on the car. I've swapped out a hybrid battery in a different Prius before so I'm willing to do the work. How should I start diagnosing the problem?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    get a new hybrid battery from 'newhybridbatteries.com' $1,600. and you're done.

Skibob likes this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Diagnosis was already done by the car. P3013 means Block 3 becomes weak. That means module #5 or #6 from the non-ecu end of the battery pack is failing.

Skibob likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you've got a nice low mileage car there. put in a brand new battery and you'll be good for another 8-12 years

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pull the pack and verify that that the bad modules are really bad and that it's not corrosion in the voltage sensing wires... Create a spread sheet of all 28 modules and enter voltage you get when you first check, then use a 12v 55w bulb (headlamp bulb if not LED) for 2 minutes on each module and record voltage drop on to spread sheet. This will help you find the bad module, as well as soon to be bad modules. Once you get this done come back to this post and we'll help with finding replacement modules, as well as reconditioning of the pack.

6. pt80chip

pt80chip New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went back and looked again, voltage for Block 3 did drop almost 1V lower than the rest at one point.

I am not sure I want to put $1600 into this car. It is a very practical car but I may be looking into a newer gen prius in the near future.

This is very helpful, thank you. I may go this route. I have an HV battery from a previous Prius. It had a bad block and I swapped it out. Should I use one of the blocks from that Prius HV? It has sat for a couple about 2 years.

bisco likes this.
  7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you have only the stack of 28 modules or a small number of modules, or a complete pack with ECU, relays, etc.?

If I were in your situation I'd find some professional re builders who usually have piles of extra chassis w/ECU relays / everything but the 28 modules cluttering up there space and catch them on a good day when they'll give you one or sell you one for less $40

Then get some RC car chargers that charge with NiMH algorithm so you can start cycling those old modules, build spreadseet, etc. then order replacement modules and build out that second pack. Then once it's ready, swap it out with the troubled pack and you're back on the road while you work on the other pack. Not only will having a spare pack be a wise investment for yourself, but your fellow Prius owners will be rescued by you at some point too. And when you can fix someones bad battery issue with a loaner pack in less than an hour they'll probably pay you lots of money once the car stealership tells them how much they want to fix it...

#7 PriusCamper, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  8. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You could rebuild the battery that’s already out of the car and just swap them out.

Gen II Prius Individual Battery Module Replacement | PriusChat

PriusCamper likes this.