1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius Repair (Hyb Batt & MG with Hole in Bottom So Far)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by twc, Nov 10, 2018.

1. twc

twc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought a 2007 from a guy for $1000. He told me it stopped running and he coasted off the highway with the triangle light lit. He then drove it in "limp" mode. His dad towed it back to his apt. I trailered it home and discovered it had no registered oil on the stick and no coolant visible in the reservoir. After jacking it up, I discovered a hole in the bottom of the engine case (not the oil pan) about the size of an egg.. 12v battery is dead, jumped it with my van. I added a quart and a half of oil and filled coolant back up. Computer came on and most warning lights on the dash. Engine began to run, I shut it off after 10 seconds.

Initial questions are what is most likely bad on it: hybrid battery, MG, inverter(?) or its pump(?) - all, other components? What would you recommend as next steps? I have a friend with a heated garage and who found an 145,000 mile engine for $300. Do you think it's worth proceeding to repair?

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise,
    Tim

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    sounds like all you need is the engine. what makes you think anything else is bad?

strawbrad likes this.
  3. twc

twc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Bisco. The guy I bought it from told me his friend said the HB is bad based on what it did and the lights; he also later told me many lights came on on the dash besides the triangle light. My thinking is the HB went bad, the MG started working all the time to drive the car and eventually oil ran low and blew internal(s) out the bottom of the engine. I'm new to Prius repair and am not sure if this is the case, and or if the inverter could be affected too during this process of damage to the car.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could try retrieving the diagnostic trouble codes by using Mini VCI (Toyota Techstream clone). However some of the logged codes may result from the engine not being fully operative. I don't think you can have high confidence in the codes that are logged while the engine is impaired. You also need to replace the 12V battery because as long as you have a dead battery installed, most of the ECUs will clear their memories once the jump battery is removed and the car is turned off, Thus most DTC will be lost.

You don't have much invested in the car at the moment. You'll have to decide whether it is worth your labor effort to install the $300 replacement engine.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. twc

twc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Patrick. Just to check the codes again, do you think I could jump it without the 12 V battery and read the codes? Last time I jumped it with a 12 V battery dead inline and read the codes. But I turned the core in a few days ago and I don’t have it now.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Confused why you tried to start a motor that has a big hole in the side of the block?

Pretty classic ending to what is starting to become commonplace on this site and thats the engine was run dry by the seller because no one ever checks there oil anymore. Even after the engine started making really bad sounds they continued to drive it till the engine threw a piston out the side of the motor. Usually cylinder #3. See that alot here.

You went there to buy a car? You never opened the hood either till you got home? Lol...When you go to buy a car what else is there to look at on a non running car?

Very poorly maintained car. Try to find an engine/trans combo because the trans is probably toast too. You never mentioned miles but I'm thinking 220000+.

Then your looking at rebuilding the hybrid battery for sure. And whatever else is destroyed. If it was me I would sell it for $1100.

exstudent likes this.
  7. twc

twc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're right edthefox5, I was focused on the hybrid battery and inverter coolant pump. I thought about checking the oil, but forgot and trusted the seller I think too much. This is new to me and is my expensive mistake. I think the engine likely started to charge the HB. The car has 144,500 miles on it. Thanks for your thoughts on the trans also.

edthefox5 likes this.
  8. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Seller should have paid the OP $200 to take the car off his hands.

I am amazed at todays drivers and buyers.
    Drivers: What's a dip stick?
    Buyers: A hood release? I don't wear any hoodies.​

1) What possessed you to buy a car w/o even opening the engine hood?
    2) Is this a project car? How much disposable money do you, your parents, or benefactor have?

3) Start w/ replacing the obvious broken part (engine), then proceed from there.

#8 exstudent, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    edthefox5 likes this.
  9. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Enough scolding! Let our experts offer there advise about how to move ahead.

strawbrad and jerrymildred like this.
  10. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, if you wanted a project, you sure have one.

First thing is to decide if it might be worth putting in a used engine. Lots of people have done that in Prii that are otherwise in good shape.

The catch is that it's hard to evaluate the rest of the car without replacing the engine. Since it's been run into the ground with apparently zero maintenance done to it, I think my two inclinations would be to part it out or try to get a few buck for the whole thing from either a dealer who will auction it or another individual who wants a parts car.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't see how it was an expensive mistake. how much is a 2007 with a running engine worth?

strawbrad likes this.
  12. twc

twc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    KBB says 3600 to 5800, $4700 probably about what it's worth. I have a dealer who says he'll give me $485 for it

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    around here, ebb shows $3,700. private party average in fair condition

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fair enough. Throw that $300 engine in there and see how she does.

15. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You don't need to be an "expert" to come to the obvious conclusion: start by replacing the engine.
    Remember, OP said "hole in the bottom of the engine".​

#15 exstudent, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  16. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If this is a project car and OP has disposable hobby money, proceed w/ repairs and enjoy process.

If OP does not have disposable hobby money, this car will likely become death by a thousand cuts, given the poor maintenance and all the unknowns. OP should strongly consider selling the car to the dealer offering $485; see if he can get a little bit more, maybe $700, so this ordeal is only a $300 lesson.

The KBB values you both are citing are for a working vehicle. The market will ultimately dictate what the best price is.

Data points: FAIR condition (KBB doesn't have Poor Condition as an option), 2007 base(speculation), grey color, 144,500 miles (Post #7), Ann Arbor Zip code.
    upload_2018-11-13_3-23-1.png

upload_2018-11-13_3-3-37.png
    Currently, the car is NOT in a reasonable running condition. Title unknown; salvage titled vehicles command lower values.

Confirmed: engine replacement required. $300 for a pre-identified one.
    Likely: HV Battery bad; based on previous owners comments and given the 2007 model year and mileage.
    Unknown: A lot. Until a working engine is installed, won't know what else is wrong.

$1000 (project vehicle) + $300 (engine) + $51 ($17/gal SLLC x 3gal) + $100 (2-3 HV battery modules) + $150 (12V AGM battery) = $1601
    $1601 (repair parts)/ $3600 (low end of OPs KBB speculated value) = 44.5% spent of the car's speculated low end value, just to get the gas engine running, with minimal part replacement.

A prudent used engine replacement would include these: thermostat, water pump,belt, idler pulley, spark plugs, PCV, air filter.​

Getting a HV Battery running can be all over the place, depending on what OP wants to do: cheap (module replacement and frequent breakdowns) to costly (new OEM replacement): $100 to $1700. Only OP knows what he wants and how much he is willing to spend.

Once the gas engine is running: these are other possible repairs to be ruled out: radiator, transaxle, AC system, ABS, Inverter, inverter pump, 3-way coolant control valve, suspension, brakes, bearings, etc.

Death by a thousand cuts, as problems get revealed.​

bisco and jerrymildred like this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    crapshoot, no doubt. but that is what o/p bought into. nothing has really changed except education of possibilities

18. twc

twc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks exstudent, bisco, and everyone! This has been very helpful to me. I'm analytical, but I don't work on cars that much. I have an interest in it and a buddy who does and is starting his own business now. He may look at the Prius too and I'll go from there.

I appreciate everyone's help and expertise,
    Tim

bisco likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y) please keep us updated