1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius Replaced 12V battery, worked initially but now won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by sslusser1, Sep 13, 2017.

1. sslusser1

sslusser1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the past year or so my 2007 Prius would randomly have starting issues. in such cases, a quick jump would get it going again and it would be fine for the next 3-4 weeks. This week, however, it got to the point where it would not start with a jump so I took out the 12V, had it tested, purchased a Optima yellow top and installed it.

Upon installing the yellow top the Prius started right up. I went back and forth from work, and then picked up my son from school, came home and when I turned the car off it completely shut down; as in no "door open" light, no beeping, etc. After that, it would not start on its own. I tried jumping it again (from the fuse box) and as soon as I connected the negative cable to the ground bolt the car turned on. I then tried driving around for about 40 minutes to see if that would charge but the same problem persisted (turn the car off and it completely dies and does not respond to a button press). One thing I noticed when driving was that the power button did not have the normal green light (even while driving).

Any thoughts here? It feels like the system is not communicating with the 12V, could that be a fuse issue?I am not the most mechanically inclined so I was kind of excited when I replaced the 12V battery and the car started because I figured I saved myself $150 from what the dealer quoted to replace the 12V, i'm hoping that there is a simple fix before I take it in to the dealer? Thanks for your help, this forum has been a valuable source of information over the years.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

sounds like the new battery needs a charge. ask the place you bought it from to test it, and put a full charge on it, like they should have done before selling it to you.

3. sslusser1

sslusser1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the quick reply! How would I go about charging it and how do I know when its fully charged?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you would need an agm charger, and a digital multi meter. can you ask the seller to charge it properly?

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe you have a loose connection. Check the battery installation again and make sure all the wiring harness (white clips) and bolts are tightly in place

6. sslusser1

sslusser1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought the 12V battery at Pepboys, not sure if they do charging.

Just to be clear, when you say the wiring harness and bolts might be loose are you talking about the 12V battery, correct?

So, when I drive it after getting it jumped, is the 12V playing a roll at all? After driving around for 40 minutes I was approximately one blue bar away from getting to the green, is that separate from the 12V?

Thanks for your help.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the tightness and cleanliness at the battery posts, as well as negative to ground connection.
    after it starts, the 12v is being charged, as well as supplying power to low voltage devices.
    the battery charge icon is for the hybrid battery which moves the car, along with the engine.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After the car starts, the 12v could be disconnected and everything will still seem normal. When you can't start it again, it would normally have a loose connection at the battery.

9. sslusser1

sslusser1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I say I'm "not mechanically inclined" that's a fancy way of saying I know next to nothing; when you say "negative to ground connection" is that the cable connecting the negative terminal to the chassis; if not, what is it?

Along those lines, after I jumped the car, I went into diagnostic mode and the 12V battery read out showed that it was at 14V, does that mean anything? When the car is running, is there anyway to know if the 12V battery is functioning properly?

I literally bought the battery today so the terminals are as clean as they are going to get. Everything looks good on the positive terminal (I tightened the nut, the plastic plugs are clicked in, etc); the negative cable has some tape on it which i'm guessing is from the previous owner (i've had the Prius for about 6 years and this is my first battery issue), otherwise it seems to be snug on the terminal (though, it is difficult to get a wrench in the right position to really tighten it). Would it be worth it to buy a new cable for the terminal?

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    did you install the battery or was it done elsewhere?

11. sslusser1

sslusser1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I installed it (seemed easy enough from all the tutorials on this site).

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe this is where your problem lies. The negative terminal seems "snug" but it's difficult to get a wrench in the right position.

I normally would install the negative cable on the battery BEFORE putting it in the car. Then I only have to connect the negative to the body bolt.

13. sslusser1

sslusser1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a good idea, i'll start over and try doing it that way.

At this point, do you think the 12V still has a charge (I bought it new today and probably only drove 15 miles on it); in other words, should i look into getting it charged (if that's the case, can I jump it)?

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your 12v may not be fully charged, but if you bought it new, it shouldn't be fully drained either. If you have any doubts, you can have it tested before you install it again. If it's fully charged, it'll be close to 13v. An acceptable battery would be around 12.5v and you can let it charge while you drive it.

When you install the battery, install the positive and then negative last. If you have a good connection, you should be able to see tiny sparks as you put in the negative bolt to the body ground (your interior lights would come on too).

#14 JC91006, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  15. sslusser1

sslusser1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Took everything out, tightened the negative connection and put it back together, noting...sort of. The power button blinks orange and the interior lights come on though they are dim.

The other thing I noticed is that the positive terminal is pretty warm and I started to get a sulfur (rotten egg) type smell. I'm wondering if there might be a problem with the battery itself. I took everything out and will bring the battery back to Pepboys to get it tested.

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is the battery polarity connections correct? Positive with positive, negative with negative? Battery is probably bad

17. sslusser1

sslusser1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as I know everything is correct; The positive is on the left and connected to the large positive wire harness and the negative is on the right (closest to the bumper) and connected to the negative cable which, in turn, is connected to the body. At this point, i'm rooting for a bad battery as that would be the easier fix. ;

SFO likes this.