1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius replacement tires needed. Need recommendations of which tires to replace with.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by BGB, Nov 27, 2009.

1. BGB

BGB New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2007 Prius replacement tires needed.
    Only 20,000 miles and all 4 need to be replaced.
    Help! I need recommendations of which tires I should consider (make and model) . And, should I go to a bigger size (which size). Thank you
    for you help..."Tire frustrated and ignorant"

2. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey, BGB,

If you look you'll see that you posted this in the 2010 model section. You want to use the Gen 2 or 2G section (for only the 2004 to 2009 Priuses) & you'll likely get more exposure to the proper members & therefore maybe more answers to your question.

I, myself, replaced my Integrities at 55,000 miles & went to Continental Premier Contact which I'm O.K. with (they were supposed to be Low Rolling Resistance, but I took a 4-5 MPG hit) but they are supposed to be out of production as well. My next replacements (when needed) will probably be the Goodyear Fuel Max line if they're available in the proper size as specifed on the door pillar (unless something better comes along in the meantime before I do need them).

Your tires being worn out at 20,000 miles is most likely due to the dealer under-inflating them. My dealer's tire rotation guy 1st did 24 lbs all around @ 5,000 miles, then 28 lbs all around @ 10,000 miles. I finally demanded 35 front/33 rear @ 15,000 miles, but by then the damage was done. By 20,000 miles I had no tread on both the inside & outside edges of all 4 tires [smooth, (not cupped) which is a classic indication of under-inflation & NOT an alignment problem]. The middle tread of all 4 tires was like new, so I started demanding 42 lbs front & 40 lbs rear & that kept the inside & outside edges from wearing any further & started wearing down the middles & that's how I was able to get to 55,000 miles before needing my tire replacements.

I probably could have made it to 60,000 miles before replacing them if it had been the end of spring or the start of summer, but winter was about to begin & I felt I needed the better traction of new tires for safety. Whatever you decide for tires, just keep better track of how high your dealer inflates to at tire rotation time. Don't let them under-inflate yours or you'll be buying new ones prematurely again.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Please use the search feature. There are more threads on tires than there are members on this site! (exaggeration)

You'll find more info that way. :)