1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius taillights out - bump them and they come back on.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by OkcPriusOwner, May 31, 2017.

1. OkcPriusOwner

OkcPriusOwner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A few weeks ago a friend following me told me my driver side taillight was out. While checking it, I bumped the light housing (open hand smack) and it came back on. I thought it was just a glitch and forgot about it.

Last night I was returning some movies to Red Box and I got pulled over. The cop said I had no taillights at all (both sides out now) but that my brake lights seemed to be working.

When I walked to the back of my car, I bumped each light housing separately and each time the taillight came back on.

Luckily the cop just laughed it off (called me 'Fonzi') and let me go.

Originally I thought it might be a loose connection for the one light that went out. But with both doing it, how should I trouble shoot this? Replace both bulbs? Have the electrical looked at?
    Thanks in advance.

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I had an '04 with the same problem. It turned out to be just a bad connection at the wiring harness to the tail light assembly. Moisture had corroded the connection. I cleaned both sides with a finger nail file - issue went away.

OkcPriusOwner likes this.