1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius. Time to sell??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by erwinrosen, Jan 5, 2014.

1. erwinrosen

erwinrosen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I own a 2007 Prius with 41,000 miles and zero problems, which really feels like new. It has been 7 years since I own it, so my question is whether it is time to get rid of it? If not, how long would you keep it?
    My question is related to the main battery. Given its age, what are the chances that it may fail?
    Appreciate your comments.
    Erwin

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the gen II forum from the Prius v forum.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when you get the itch, it's time to scratch!;) on the other hand, i would love to be the buyer of an '07 w/ 41,000 miles!(y)

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2004 has 165K miles and is still using the original traction battery. I think you have a low probability of traction battery failure, at least for another three years or more.

Since you live in Israel, you should consider the cost for you to obtain a replacement traction battery. Here in the US, the cost is moderate (due to the availability of used, "remanufactured" and new alternatives) and if you can DIY the replacement, you will save the substantial labor charge.

5. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a 2007 as well, with 44,000 miles on it. I have no plans to replace it. The vast majority of the traction batteries have been lasting a good long time (250,000+ miles). It's usually not a worry. I do think I'm going to replace the fluid in the PowerSplit though--that's a bit of a concern. The car still seems new to me--I'm kind of planning on it being the last car I own!

6. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We own a 2007 Prius with 145,000 mi (purchased new in Oct 2006). It consistently earns 50 mpg. All functions perform well (heater, radio, wipers, headlights, etc.) I have several friends who have purchased plug-in Prii. We are content with what we have. I have replaced the HID headlights and 12V battery. I change the oil every 5000 mi (Mobil 1, Mobil 1 extra capacity filter). Car runs very well.

7. P&T PRIUS

P&T PRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hey I'm in fresno too! Well actually Madera ranchos but close enough!

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can help preserve the Hybrid Battery health by keeping the cabin as cool as possible using a window-shade to start.
    A hot cabin will stress the battery. They sell a custom fitted insulated window shade here at PC SHOP. I highly recommend it. Mines going on 7 years old and is still in great shape. Keeps the car very nice.

Since I live in Florida and very hot like your locale I also have a sheet of foil covered insulation board cut to fit over the pull out package visor in the back hatch. Its keeps the back hatch area very cool and direct sunlight off that rear hatch (battery area) And of course the best darkest tint you can afford.

These all add up to a happy hybrid battery. Mine 7 years later acts like new.

And always use AC do not drive around with the windows open keep the cabin cool.

I left my car without its shade just once on a really hot day in the sun too and the cabin was extremely hot. That was the one and only time I heard the battery cooling fan come on after I started the car. The fan inlet is on the rear passenger seat between the seat and the window. There's a grill there. Keep that unobstructed too.

Good Luck.

9. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The real answer to your question is do you prefer saving money or having something new to drive. Since you don't do much driving, I'd say hold on to it and save money. I have no plans to get rid of my 2006 with only 74,000 miles. My son will start driving soon, so if anything it might become his car.

10. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was just about make an offer on that old Prius and then I noticed a location. How long people keep cars in Israel?