1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius used oil analysis - 5,189 miles on oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rumpledoll, Nov 19, 2008.

1. rumpledoll

rumpledoll Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here is the Blackstone report for a 5,189 mile oil change interval of Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic oil in a 2007 Toyota Prius with 17,873 miles total.

I'm happy that copper, iron and silicon are dropping, and the TBN of 4.0 is great. The Prius is known for fuel dilution and I had 0.5% which dropped the flashpoint to 355F and no doubt dropped the viscosity a bit. The oil filter was a standard Purolator.

I changed this oil out to Amsoil 0W-20 AMS with an EAO filter. I'm hoping to get eventually to 1 year/12,000 miles on it but I will either sample it 5,000 or change it depending on how I feel.

Note - the forum plays with the image below. To see it better, click on the image then right click on the pop up and select "view image" to see the full sized, readable, jpg.

[​IMG]

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've spread out my oil changes to every 10k miles since turning over 60k on the ODO. My Blackstone report is somewhere on the site...the recommended retesting after another 2500 miles, but I'd already done the change. I just wanted proof that the oil was still holding up well after 10k.

3. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Evan - What kind oil are you using with 10k intervals? M1? Amsoil? My next sample on M1 5w30 will be at 8500. The last fill had life left in it when I changed at 7500.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Good numbers rumpledoll. I want to see that silicon keep dropping, or else a new engine air filter in there.

5. thedutchtouch

thedutchtouch prius is my SUV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    its an almost impossible stat to get, but i was wondering if you guys had any idea what % your ice was running, ie are you hypermilers? using ev mode on short trips? also, do you have an EBH? etc

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I estimate that over the 80k miles I average ICE on ~50%. My usual commute is b/w 30-35% ICE on. But I've had enough highway speed trips that tend to be longer distances that the average has to be pushed up by that 90% ICE on time of those trips.

Also, yes, I use an EBH, almost never use my EV button, but I am a hypermiler and usually get into Stage IV within the first 1/2 mile of my drive.

7. rumpledoll

rumpledoll Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I also want to see the Si drop! I replaced the air filter during the last oil change at 12,500 miles (filter is genuine Toyota part from a Toyota dealer) so I'm really thinking it is really is sealers and the like as Blackstone suggests.

Now that I've switch to Amsoil the Si is unlikely to drop all the way down to the universal average as Amsoil contains 3 ppm - 7 ppm Si as additive (for aniti foam purposes?).

Rumple

8. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello Evan, Brick asked you what kind of oil you use, I would also like to know. I use only Mobil 1 5-30W. Last week I bought a gallon jug of the 5-20W Mobil 1. This will be my first time using it. Do you have any thoughts on M1 5-20 versus 5-30 you would like to share?

Dave

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oops, missed that part of the multipart question...I use Mobile 1 5W-20 and have since my first change...had one "accidental" fill with some standard dino (dealer screwed up and was trying to be nice giving me a freebie change, but I'd just changed with Mobile 1 about 500 miles before then).

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Looks good!