1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius won't start.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dunpeal, Jan 12, 2014.

1. dunpeal

dunpeal New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi folks.

My 2007 Prius has been very reliable, until today.

It wouldn't unlock by fob proximity as it always does. I used the physical key to get inside, and the little guiding light around the fob slot was off. The dome light was very feeble - about 30% of its usual intensity.

Nothing happened when I pressed the starter button, not even when I placed the fob in its slot.

From searching online, it seems my 12V battery may be depleted. Should I get a Jump Starter to start it?

I should mention that the "Maintenance Required" light was on for the past several weeks. It seemed to light up when I crossed the 30k miles threshold, so I assumed it was just the routine 30k mile maintenance reminder, which I've had done before actually crossing that threshold. Was it indicating some real issue, perhaps more serious than just a depleted battery?

Why did the battery get depleted all of a sudden? I just left it parked for a couple of days. Several times in the past, it started immediately after being parked for weeks and even months, .

Thanks in advance for any help, I am a total newbie when it comes to cars, and know next to nothing about car mechanics.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If your 12v battery is still the original from 2007, then it's probably the cause of your problems. The maintenance is just a reminder, not a notification of any serious issue.

3. dunpeal

dunpeal New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is.

Do I need to do anything else besides jump starting the car? Should I replace the battery, take the car to the dealership, anything like that?

Also, should I expect any sort of problems with the car going forward? It worked perfectly so far. Why did the battery get depleted all of a sudden? I just left it parked for a couple of days. In the past, it was sometimes parked for months, then started flawlessly on the first try.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

The battery is 6 years or older, most batteries fail after 4 -5 years. Consider yourself lucky to have gotten 6 years.

You can jump start it but be careful to get the polarity right when you jump. It can cause a lot of damage if you reverse the polarity while you jump start.

You can also just buy another battery and install it, without jump starting it.

5. dunpeal

dunpeal New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks a lot, JC. One thing I'd appreciate if you clarified (again, I'm a total newbie):

Are you saying I should get a new battery, even if jump-starting works?

I'm not sure what it means for a battery to "fail" like this. Is it a permanent problem?

Also, where does one buy a new battery?

I will probably have to jump-start either way, since I don't have any other way to move the car right now...

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Your battery is dead and probably will not charge. Even if you jump start, it will probably be good for the 1 time you are jump starting. You would have to do it again the next time you want to start it.

If you are handy and can install a battery, you can buy one at the local auto parts store. They will run about $200. If you take it to the dealer, they will charge you about $200 plus $100 for installation.

Yes you must replace your battery, even if you jump start it once. It's a temporary solution to jump start.

7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    JC mentioned about the hazards of jump starting.

I am going to repeat it. If you accidentally reverse the polarity for even a split second, thousands of dollars of damage will be done. Think about what I just wrote.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of posts here on Prius Chat about folks trying to jump start a Prius and discovering damage thereafter. So be forewarned.

Your best bet would be to purchase a new replacement battery and install it yourself. If you have the tools and are mechanically inclined you can easily change the battery.

There is ample information here on Prius Chat concerning the battery swap. It normally takes about an hour. One individual posted he had his done in 20 minutes.

The battery is NOT cheap. It is a special battery with "reversed JIS posts". It is also a AGM type battery which is sealed and has a vent on it for external venting.

As JC mentioned, your battery did not suddenly fail. It only failed to start your Prius because the voltage has dropped due to age. The Prius is started by the traction battery, NOT the 12 volt. When the 12 volt dies, the traction battery will not come on because the computers and relays that normally boot up and close won't function properly due to the weak 12 volt battery.

If the Prius is your only source of wheels, ask a friend for assistance. You can buy the battery at just about any parts house or you can get one from your local Toyota dealer.

Expect to pay $175 to $200 for the battery. If you pay someone to install it, expect an additional $75 to $200 or more for labor.

If you must jump start, you should use a jump starting portable pack rather than another car. If you must use another car, make certain that the donor car engine is NOT running. The only thing that is needed is enough juice to get the Prius to boot up. If the donor car engine is running, sometimes the alternator will surge and fry delicate electronics on the Prius when doing the jump start.

In my signature below there are links. The second link will detail how to swap the battery. Refer to post #8 for the details.

I recommend the OEM battery that Toyota sells. Others will recommend the "Yellow Top" or the "Exide" brand of battery. Depending on your location, source of availability may be limited.

Best of luck to you and "Welcome to Prius Chat."

8. dunpeal

dunpeal New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! Sounds like I should get a new battery.

I'm curious why you are certain the battery is "dead" and "will not charge". Could it not be that it is depleted, perhaps because I left the dome light on or some such?

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It IS depleted and batteries don't last forever. They need to be replaced after a certain service life. In the Prius, the service life of the battery tend to be only 4-5 years. After that time, they no longer hold a charge.

10. dunpeal

dunpeal New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! Can I ask why you and JC are sure the battery is too weak due to old age? Is it just its chronological age? Otherwise, many threads I found here indicate the battery may simply be depleted (due to owner leaving some of draining electrical devices turned on), in which case jump-starting fixes the problem - the battery gets automatically recharged during normal operation, right?

Many thanks, and your help is much appreciate! I've already learned here in hour more than I ever knew about my beloved Prius :)

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

You can re-charge a battery that can hold a charge, a fresh newer battery that has never been depleted would hold a charge. Your battery is depleted and it's 6 years+ old.

Use these readings and test the voltage on your battery. You can try to fully charge the battery (or as much as it'll charge up to) and wait overnight and take a reading and see how much charge it'll hold. A new fully charged battery will register 12.9 volts. A dead AGM battery would register approx. 11.8 volts.

Percent DischargeTerminal Voltage
    1 % 12.9
    10 % 12.8
    20 % 12.65
    30% 12.5
    40% 12.35
    50% 12.2
    60% 12.0
    70% 11.9
    80% 11.7
    90% 11.4
    100% 10.5

12. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I suggest you take some time to learn about how batteries work and why they fail over time. A google search will reveal a lot of information for you.

FWIW, you stated that your battery is original. Your Prius is listed as a 2007. That makes your 12 volt a minimum of six years old.

Since your battery is old and you are experiencing the symptoms of a dead or dying battery it is a logical conclusion to go ahead and replace the battery.

The average lifespan of a 12 volt battery is approximately four to five years. Depending on location and usage this amount can be higher or lower.

If you don't want to replace the battery at this time, I would suggest you invest in a "smart" battery charger that will charge AGM batteries and attempt to keep your battery charged. I have a feeling that you will discover that your old battery won't hold it's charge for long.

Car Battery Life - How Long Does a Car Battery Last

Battery Sulfation : Technical Support Desk

If you have a digital voltage meter, take the time to measure the voltage at the post's with NO load. That will tell you how weak or strong your battery is.

JC gave you the numbers for charge levels.

Here is a chart for your reference also. Remember yours is a AGM type battery so refer to that when checking the voltage.

Battery SOC Chart.jpg

13. dunpeal

dunpeal New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again, guys.

Today I talked to the nearest Toyota dealership. They quoted $180 for a new battery + $70 labor = $250 for the whole replacement.

The only problem is getting the car there. I'm not super keen on getting it towed, so jump-starting seems like my best option. The service representative said that as long as I don't reverse polarity, or make any other mistake that would mess up any car - I should be fine.

Is any off the shelf jump-starter like the Clore JNC300XL safe enough to use as long as I do it carefully and correctly, or do you still think I should absolutely avoid jump-starting and get it towed instead?

14. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. If you can tell the difference between red and black, and connect the red positive terminal of the jumpstart device to the red positive terminal of the battery or the dedicated jumpstart terminal in the main relay/fuse box near the inverter, then you will be good. The black negative terminal of the jumpstart device connects to unpainted metal on the body. For example, one of the strut nuts on the tower behind the main relay/fuse box.

15. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Agree with Patrick 100%. Get something like that and you should be in business. Handy to have in emergency's especially if no one is around and you need a jump.

That's a good price on the dealer install also. Some really like to gouge on the install.

Best of luck to you.