1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Rear Brake Replacement Parts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 24gzerancr, Jun 7, 2024.

1. 24gzerancr

24gzerancr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am in need of replacement brake shoes for my 2007 prius. I checked Rockauto which seems to have the best prices so I would like to order from there. There are a number of brands that I would be comfortable using but I could not find any ceramic pads. I am unable to figure out what kind of pads are OEM for toyota, but that is what I would like to stick with for replacements. Would an organic or metallic pads meet OEM standards?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Shoes for rear are a metallic compound I do believe . I'm using whatever gold from a big box store . But my fronts are burgundy label raybestos ceramic.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Very common in stock almost everywhere

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you have a dealership parts department nearby?

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The rear drum brakes on a front wheel drive car do a small amount of the overall stopping (maybe 20%). Even moreso on a hybrid like the Prius with regenerative braking.

Almost all drum brake shoes (including OE) use a standard "non asbestos organic" (NAO) friction material. That's all you're going to find in parts stores and it's perfectly adequate for normal cars. Anything beyond that is unnecessary for street use and could cause noise problems.

(When you get into vintage cars that have 4 wheel drums or racing applications then you can find specialty suppliers for semi-metallic shoe linings.)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you really want the ceramic style, Rock Auto has Brembo S83508N shoes listed as an option for the 2007 Prius for $30, but show only 1 kit remaining. 1 kit covers both sides of the car.

Those are described as:

Designed and engineered to enhance braking power, Brembo Premium Ceramic Brake Shoes are manufactured using OE-equivalent friction formulations. From research and development to testing, passing through production of the friction compound and mechanical processing, Brembo has absolute control of all production stages. The product of Brembo’s manufacturing process is a friction material that minimizes braking distances while offering a quiet and safe braking experience on a variety of road conditions.

7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Would that actually have any significant improvement in braking on a Prius?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Probably not to be honest about it but you probably won't be changing him the rest of the life of the car either I mean even with the wherever gold from advance Auto I think they're some kind of semi-metallic something another they'll last forever I won't be changing them again even at 600k they'll still have plenty of meat probably now the front is another story but I've got some ceramic nonsense up there too but it certainly won't last from 2:45ish to 600k I don't think.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Whenever I’ve done pads (and shoes once IIRC) I’ve just walked into dealership parts department and bought OEM. It’s typically somewhere around $100 CDN. And once in a blue moon.

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah on these cars you could run you know $12 Chinese pads if you know that was a thing He wouldn't even know it other than the smell of some of the cheap pads when they warm up they smell funny but most folks wouldn't notice.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We had an aftermarket starter installed one time: every start up there was a weird smell, for about the first year.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  12. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Most likely not at all. I just figured if the OP really wanted ceramic, there was an inexpensive option available. Personally, I'm all for using OEM and equivalent. I'm not much into the flashy stuff :)

Rarely ever is there adequate ROI for the fancy stuff....

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A common complaint here is aftermarket brake parts not fitting, say backing plate dimensions, or pads too thick to get the caliper back on.