1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Speaker Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by txtabby, Mar 15, 2014.

1. txtabby

txtabby 2011 Prius 4

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Any recommendations on what speakers I should use to replace the factory JBLs? Tight bass and crisp highs are what I'm looking for. And should I also replace that "center channel"?

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    some folks say to disconnect the center dash speaker for better sound.

alpine tweeters do clip right into the tweeter mounts with no mods; also jbl uses odd impedances -- 3 ohms or something. I'd think 4 ohm woofers would work fine.

I'd use 6.5" woofers if I didn't want to mod the doors over it. I had to install 1" thick spacer rings to get my front woofers to clear the window. 7" Dayton Audio rear woofers (parts express) just barely fit.

I don't have jbl, but there is a thread on here somewhere with a link to the jbl schematic which does show the correct impedances.

3. txtabby

txtabby 2011 Prius 4

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've had Alpines before and really liked them. The SPS-610C looks like they will do the trick. I'll check them out. Thanks!

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The front JBL speakers are 2 ohm, the rears are 3 ohm.

John (Britprius)

Data Daedalus and usnavystgc like this.
  5. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

not to jack the thread and all... but How did those work out for you? putting the 7" woofer in the doors. Rattling? close quality to having a decent sub and box in the car?

6. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    works good. of course, I'm about 1/2 deaf from all the loud music and noise, but it does feel like a sub. the mirror vibrates and the bass guitar and kick drum really sound like they're in the car with me. I don't listen at extreme levels, but I like it moderately loud. the important thing is to add some type of insulating material like dynamat under the door panels; I am cheap so I used duct insulation. its 1/8" thick foam w/ glue on 1 side and foil on the other. very light and effective. dynamat is better at dampening but its much heavier and way too expensive.

Justdidit likes this.
  7. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Did you feel you lost any sound quality or mids by removing the 6.5 components drivers and installing the woofer? I'm not big on the sound stage but I don't want it to suck from my drivers seat.

Essentially i'm looking to do the same. Adding (2) JBL GTO804's amped in my rear doors and running new Infinity components amped in the remaining stock locations as well.

8. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    the drivers I picked were most likely designed for 2 way bookshelf speakers, so there is not a problem with loss of midrange. I did adjust the bass down from where it was with the oe speakers because they didn't really put out any bass even with the bass turned all the way up. since I've played bass for years, bass response is most important to me. the alpine tweeters are much clearer and cleaner than the oe tweeters too.

9. txtabby

txtabby 2011 Prius 4

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Your answers are informative, and thanks for the input!

I was, however, chatting with a former Prius owner Sunday evening (don't remember why he traded in the prius, but it was an '07 like mine) and he recommended I just keep what I have (the upgraded JBL's) and save the $$$. BUT, if I can get much better sound, I will change out the speakers.

10. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    he might have a tin ear...