1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 tire rotation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by theshark, Apr 17, 2012.

1. theshark

theshark Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know how to rotate my question is. May I use 2 floor jacks to lift up one side of the vehicle to rotate the tires. Never rotated them before after finding out the dealer did not rotate them on my last service I'm going to start rotating them my self.

Thanks in advance

2. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's exactly what I have done to rotate mine - I DO block the opposite side tires to prevent any forward/back movement. A set of 2 ton floor jacks did the job just fine. :)

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I also do it this way, but I back up both jacks with jack stands for safety.

An electric impact wrench with the right size impact socket makes the job go faster.

JeffD

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I actually lift up the side of the Prius using one floor jack and a 3 ft. length of 2x4 to distribute the lifting force along the edge of the body.

However using two floor jacks is better from the point of view of providing the lifting force closer to where it was intended to be.

1 person likes this.
  5. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't forget to pre-loosen all 20 lug nuts while all 4 tires are still on the ground so you're not rocking the car back & forth while its in the air . . . same goes for the final torqueing of the lug nuts.

metal expands in hotter temps, steel more than aluminum. I have no problem taking my aluminum factory wheels off in november to put my winter tire/wheels on (they're steel). But its tough to take the winter steel wheels off in the spring when its hot, it involves lots and lots of kicking, so much that I'm terrified of the car coming off the jack. I finally smartened up last year and started using anti-seize where the wheels meet the bore.