1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 to 2008 Touring Tire/Wheel Swap Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jtrain73, Feb 8, 2010.

1. jtrain73

jtrain73 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We have two different Prius vehicles. My wife has a 2007 regular model and I have a 2008 Touring model.

We will be trading in my wife's car for something larger, but she just got new tires in December and I would like to keep them and put them on my car as I have yet to replace the original tires and I am keeping my Prius. The problem is that since my model is the Touring Edition, it has larger wheels and thus a different tire size.

Her 2007 tires size = 185/65-15
    My 2008 Touring tires size = 195/55-16

I know I can't take her tires and put them on my wheels. So my question is can I safely swap her tires and wheels as one to my car???

The diameter of both tires looks to be the same, and the lug nut pattern seems the same on both wheels. Is there any reason, other than losing out on the bigger wheels my car came with, that I couldn't do this?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No reason.

3. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The answer will depend on the tires on your wife's 2007 and your 2008. With the stock tires, here is the important information:

2007 Prius Goodyear Integrity (185/65-15):
    Overall Diameter - 24.4
    Revolutions per mile - 855

2008 Prius Touring Edition Bridgestone Touranza (195/55-16)
    Overall Diameter - 24.4
    Revolutions per mile - 854

So, for the stock tires, they are interchangeable with no hit to speedometer or odometer accuracy. If you do not have the stock tires on the 2007, then you need to find out what the specification is for the tires that are presently on the 2007. As far as wheel fit, again, stock wheels are interchangeable between the two cars. Owners of non-Touring edition cars have swapped the wheels on their car for Touring edition wheels. The brake rotors, calipers and drums are the same parts between the base and Touring editions.

4. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have an 09 Touring, and to confirm what others have said, I bought 4 15" OEM Prius rims to put snow tires on. The wheels are entirely interchangeable. As apriusfan noted, the tires you list are within 1 rev per mile of each other.

Should you ever want to compare other tires, there is a "calculator" available at: Tire size calculator

One thing you should take into consideration is TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system). When you put "new" (ie, different) wheels on a car, they need to be set up to work with the car's TPMS system. If you switch wheels between the cars, it may be necessary to reprogram each car to read the "new" sensors on the rims just mounted. (The TPMS is built into the valve stem.) When I asked about the cost of reprogramming for my snow tires, my dealer said it was about $100. So, you might be facing a cost of ~$200 to reset the TPMS.

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    You have missed one important consideration. The tire pressure monitor will be upset. To fix that you will have to take the car to a Toyota dealer and have them reprogram the car for the different sensors you will end up with.

Note that, while unimportant in this case, the tire load carrying capacity is the most important factor when changing tire size. As both tire sizes are for the same car, in this case this isn't important.

6. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Out of curiosity, what are you advocating using the tire calculator for?

Typically it has been used to get a close approximation of diameter and speedometer & odometer variance if the manufacturer does not publish a diameter specification for their tires. If the manufacturer publishes the diameter specification, that should be used instead of relying on the tire calculator, as tires having the same 'sizing' (e.g. 205/55-15) can have different measured diameter and revolutions per mile specifications.