1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Touring 87,500 miles, opinions please

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cobb, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Cobb

Cobb New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi! I need some advice from the experts here. The bank says I currently own a 2010 Honda Insight. I have done a lot of eco mod and even added a 4 kilowatt enginer phev kit. I get from 52mpg on average driving it like a rental car and up to 96mpg with all the hypermile techniques.

Long story short and lots of boring possible legal issues too, I am looking to trade for the above mentioned prius. My car is currently undrivable due to a loose trailer hitting it on the interstate and its being held at the body shop as neither my or their insurance wants to pay to release it. 3 body shops have refused to service it at this point.

I wanted to get some opinions. It seems to be a rather basic model that requires you to insert the key fob into a slot in the dash like an 8 track tape to start it. That is a first for me. The sticker said 17 grand, but they knocked a thousand off.

The interior seems clean, leather, but the drivers seat is not height adjustible. I do not see cruse control, but I do see buttons for the AC and radio. It has the back up camera and the rear cargo cover.

Although I have driven a prius 2 many years ago and frequently rented a prius 3, this car seems very different. For one the hybrid battery meter said it has 2 bars of charge. I managed toget it to 8 while riding the brakes, but it quickly returned to 2 bars a few miles later.

Driving it averaged less than 40mpg and everything the car rolled I could hear the engine rev as I accelerated gently and feel it fire up once I started rolling. I am using to no gas motor til about 30mph with my past prius experiences.

I did not see any error codes and was wondering if maybe its the 12 volt battery that needs replacing? With the Honda IMA system a bad 12 volt battery can cause the IMA system to be little to no use in powering the car.

The dealer said they will warranty it to 2 years or 100k miles. Basically thats 15000 miles left on the warranty and some days I drive 300 miles a day. The warranty maybe up fast with my driving I do. I asked about an extended warranty and they said they would check. I asked for the car fax and they too said will check.

Thanks for any opinions or anything else to check. :grouphug:

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Take a volt meter and check the 12v battery. Anything over 12.4 v should be fine. I don't recall seeing a touring model that didn't have 3 door SKS. All Genii Prius have the key fob slot but many do not require you to insert the fob for the car to start.

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd be wary based on this. The traction battery may be in less than perfect condition.

BTW. Did you have the A/C on full blast?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you try to drive electric when it went from 8 bars to 2? i agree with fl8, probably not a non sks touring, although no cruise doesn't make sense either. is it a toyota dealer? definitely get a carfax. sounds a bit fishy.

5. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If the car has 15 inch wheels/tires then it is not a Touring model. If the dealer is misrepresenting the car then they can't be trusted.

The Prius does not get the best mpg when you are trying to run/accelerate on battery power. Your driving technique may have more to do with what you have observed than a bad battery.

Isn't your insurance providing you with a rental? I look at any miles on the rental car as less deprecation on my car.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Agreed with both of the above.

http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...andard-optional-equipment-some-countries.html might help.

OP, what state are you in? 04+ Priuses sold, registered and operated in CARB states have a 10 year/150K mile HV battery warranty.

7. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Post the VIN and I can tell you the option package.

That said, when you test drive a car, it should sing to you. That's why sales guys do everything they can to get you to take a test drive, because most times the good mojo is so compelling that impulse control goes out the window. Regardless of the option package, I think you should pass.

8. Cobb

Cobb New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Its at the Honda dealer used car section. It seemed to handle nicer than the one I test drove a few yeasr ago, no boaty feeling.

It has some toyota mag wheels with 5 lugs. The rear hatch looked a bit different than I recall the prius 2 had or I have been soo accustom to my insights lid. :rolleyes:

I was basically handed the key fob and a dealer plate and told if I can start it, I can drive it for a few. :eek:

They said only one guy could get it started and he was not in that day. At first I thought the 12 volt battery was dead as only thing worked was the power door locks and key fob buttons plus trunk release. I tried to start the car, but no go. I then inserted the key fob in the dash slot and it worked.

I drove it like I am a little old lady and could hear/feel the gas motor on. Driving it more agressively you could hear the motor rev like in a tradiational car.

I had the ac on low, outside air and blower speed 1. The stereo system sounded nice and had JBL logos everywhere.

Ill see if I can get the car fax tomorrow and give you the vin number. So far, no one seems interested in the car other than me.

Any idea the mpg potential as is and with a 4 kilowatt enginer plug in kit? I drive either 45 or 55mph with cruse control set.

My Honda Insight when it ran got 52-73mpg. I am just worried the hybrid pack in the prius needs replacing, or maybe some little old lady drove it 5 miles twice a day and it never had a chance to "balance" the pack. I understand the prius does this automatically where as us IMA users need to trickle charge our packs at 350 ma for 2 days. :rant:

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you should get between 50 and a hundred mpg's without and with the engineer. hybrid battery is probably fine and no balancing is required except the tires.

10. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In what state do you live? If you are in Richmond, Ca. the traction battery is warranted for 10 years or 150,000 miles. Some other states follow the same rules, but most have only 8 years or 100,000 coverage. The warranty should go with the vehicle. Cruise control is operated by means of a lever with a push button on the end, located on the right side and behind the steering wheel, below the wiper arm.

11. Cobb

Cobb New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am in Virginia. I see how to enter diag mode and read the battery voltage. Ill try that. I doubt the dealer would let me poke around with an ohm meter to check voltages.

12. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Also open the back deck pull the black tray and look for the smart key sensor on the drivers side. If the car has the sensor then the car does have the SKS sytem but the dealer has lost the origional fobs and is to cheap to replace them. Make them give you 2 smart key fobs programed to match the car. It costs about $300 each for them so you do not want to be stuck for that.

Thanks,
    Dan

13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I would...if I weren't trying to hide something...and if I were trying to sell the car.

First thing...what's the KBB retail value for this car? Compare that against what they're selling it for.
    Second thing...they (should) have a CarFax account. They should give you the report for this car. Period.
    No “let me see about itâ€â€¦.or “we don’t have that.â€
    If they say they don't have a CF report for this car, then they either accepted this car as a trade or bought it at an auction without reading this report themselves….or they’re lying, which tells me they're either crooks or morons.

Either way, you'll want to avail yourself with these two bits of data before making an informed decision, in addition to the test flights, and any physical evidence that you can gather from poking and prodding.

Good Luck.
    (you may need it!)

14. Cobb

Cobb New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to the Honda dealer again to test drive the prius 07 touring model for 14 grand in change. I averaged 38 mpg for a ten mile run and the battery never exceeded 3 bars. Soon as I parked it it went back to 2 bars. The gas motor ran the whole time I drove the car except at stops.

I then visited the Hyundai dealer next door. After messin with 2 civic hybrids they said they had a prius and let me see it. It too have 2 bars on the hybrid battery and a terrible smoke smell in the car. It was an 08, 46 thousand miles for about 18 grand. It had cruse control and it didnt matter where the key fob was to make the car work. Both of the civic hybrids had a low charge and the one I drove gave little to no assist like many of the you tube videos out there. It averaged 46mpg.

I took the second prius for the same ten mile trip and averaged 52mpg. The battery filled right on up as I drove and changed colors from green to blue and back several times. At times it was silent like the prius 3 on electric only. The car felt tighter than the touring model.

My biggest issue since all the cars showed a near dead hybrid battery was the warranty. I know its like 2 grand for a rebuild and a few weeks of down time. I asked and according to the Hyundai dealer, the original warranty is not transferrable. Their warranty is 2 years or 100 thousand miles on the clock and theirs and the extended warranities do not cover hybrid parts or batteries.

I mentioned I thought that at least the IMA system was considered part of the emission part of the car on the Hondas, they said there is a paragraph excluding the hybrid drive, electronics, ipu and battery from coverage.

Id printed off the procedure to access the screen to read battery voltage, but lost it while out today.