1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Touring model

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bradysplace, Mar 13, 2007.

1. bradysplace

bradysplace Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Need some info. I am thinking about buying a 07 prius touring model today. For starters the car had steel wheels with plastic cover (new car at dealer). I was under the impression they were suppose to be 16" alum. seven spoke wheels. Is there anything about the touring model, except for the stiffer suspension which does make it handle better that has caught the interest of this group? Example: does the extended spoiler have any effect on the overall operation or efficiency of the car? Do the larger tires increase resistance etc etc........... I have a 06 prius and the adjusting of this suspension on the touring model makes a good handling car even better. Need some feed back... Thanks

2. Warwind

Warwind New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I went for the Touring over the standard model because I thought the bigger wheels looked better on the car, the Bridgestone Turanza tires seem to be significantly better than the tires that come with the standard, the touring came with HID headlights, and the "sportier" suspension. The larger spoiler probably doesn't make any significant difference in how the car drives or even looks (it's not that much bigger), but it's part of the package.

The bigger wheels, better tires, and HIDs are worth the additional cost of the touring, in my opinion. I could have had either, and waited for a touring.

Let us know what you end up doing! :)

3. cjhinpa

cjhinpa Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We just ordered a Magnetic Grey Pkg #3 Touring. Turns out, so we were told, that the Touring is only available in limited colors and we could not get the Touring in Seaside Pearl (the Blue) as we wanted.

We test drove both the standard and the Touring. Coming from a couple VW's and a BMW, we noticed the tighter body control of the Touring and found that preferable and worth the extra $ over the standard. The dealer found a Magnetic Grey, our second choice color, some 350 miles away. It is being moved to our dealer where we hope to pick it up on Saturday.

Chris

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Howdy bradysplace

QUOTE: "I was under the impression they were suppose to be 16" alum. seven spoke wheels."

They are. The wheels are finished metallic gray and use 7-spoke wheel covers. Some prefer to remove the wheel covers and use the bare wheel after adding hub covers {available for approx. $10 each}. Here are photos of both with and without the wheel covers. I preferred with WHEEL COVERS.

[attachmentid=6876]
    [attachmentid=6873]
    [attachmentid=6874]
    [attachmentid=6875]

As for the longer spoiler, my opinion is that it makes no perceptable difference. Having driven a 2004 standard for over 2 years, in comparison I do prefer the Touring suspension, 16" wheels with Bridgestone Turanza tires. With only ~2,300 miles on the clock, it's too soon to evaluate MPG, but the larger tire footprint and lower tire pressures, I feel I will achieve about 10% lower MPG than I did on my 2004. I did not like the 'feel' of the Bridgestone tires at 40/38 psi {which I had run the GoodYears on my 2004}, so I reduced the pressures to 37/35 psi slightly above the Toyota-recommended pressures. The backup camera is 'interesting' - you can tell theres 'something back there' but judging distance is difficult due to the fisheye lens distortion. The HID headlights are great. We preferred the factory-installed leather and another consideration was getting the side airbags.

In the Package 6 + Option A, there was only $270 MSRP difference for the Touring which I thought was money well spent even if just for the batter tires.

For what it's worth - my 2¢.

Attached Files:

5. MacDude

MacDude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Mar 13 2007, 09:52 AM) [snapback]404915[/snapback]</div>
    Just to add, I think that the chrome grill may also be an indicator of the touring model.

I personally don't think that the larger wing makes much difference. The suspension and the HID lamps are nice. I compared the Touring and regular model by test driving in an empty parking lot near the dealer. zig-zagging and generally trying to 'rock' the car. The Touring model was more stable. This was important to me as I live in a rural mountain area (only 1500' but curvy two-lane roads with up to 10% grade).

6. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Another Houston guy here that just got a Touring. I love it. Very controlled ride. But I would not charactarize it as harsh. I personally like competent handling cars so I opted for the Touring. Plus I wanted the HID lights and the bigger wheels make it look better. I think you'll be happy with the Touring. It goes around corners alarmingly fast, I guess because of the combined light weight and wider tires. Still has body roll but grip is ample. Turn in very crisp for a front wheel driver. Body motions in transition is rock solid, I would guess because of the stiffer suspension. I say go for it!

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MacDude @ Mar 13 2007, 01:10 PM) [snapback]404997[/snapback]</div>
    No, it is standard on all models beginning with the 2006 model year.

8. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    B) I have had my Touring edition since the last week of September, '06. I have taken my care over Tioga Pass in Yosemitee on the way to Death Valley CA. The car did wonderfully! I NEVER lacked for power and even passed other cars on the seep uphill portions. The handling was taut and responcive around the curves of the mountain pass. I just added the BT Stiffening Plate and that has improved further the ride and handling of the little wonder car! Go for the Touring... it is worth the few extra bucks. The fin is nonsense anyway, but the bigger wheels and tires give a nice feel and look to the car.

Lee

9. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What sold me on the touring model was exiting on a standard cloverleaf intersection going from low to high, the touring just nailed the 270 degree uphill circular turn at about 10mph higher than the speed I could hit it without squeeling the tires on my 99 civic.

Granted my civic has 120k on it with original shocks but I thought there would be no way that the prius would out handle a smaller car like that and I owned one two hours later.

10. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I chose the Touring because it stood out from all the others. and it was the only one on the lot in my color. Other wise i would have bought the fully loaded base prius.

11. Jimtak

Jimtak New Member

I spent a month looking for an available 07 Touring Prius in Seaside Pearl, found it, and bought it for -$500 below the invoice, in package # 6 - leather, navigation, JBL...
    but I wanted the touring package because I have to drive through the coastal mountains of Northern California all the time. And after years of Previa and Sienna handling (soccer Pop), now that the kid's are out of the house, I can get back to a smaller, better handling vehicle. I had a VW Rabbit tuned up for these hills prior to the kids. The Touring Prius feels much the same, and cuts thru those mountain passes and river following winding roads with ease. I am looking at the BT stiffener to get rid of some back end drift.
    And after ten days, averaging 45.8 mpg without adjusting driving style, I am very, very happy.

12. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just turned 5500 miles in my 2007 Touring edition. Compared to my previous 2005 Prius, the 2007 Touring edition is much quieter.

13. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Another Touring owner (magnetic gray w/ package #3). Drove to Rock Hill, SC to pick it up this past Monday. The odometer read 1 mile when I drove it off the lot. When I got it home, the odometer was at 330 miles. The computer said I averaged 56.6 mpg!
    Since then, I have been averaging 57.1 mpg in my daily commute to work (about 18 miles each way, mostly interstate driving)!!

I drove out of my way to get the Touring edition because:
    1. Love the look of the larger tires/rims
    2. It looks different than everyone else's Prius (almost all in my area are the standard models).