1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Touring suspension mods

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ROY TODD, May 5, 2007.

1. ROY TODD

ROY TODD New Member

Got my 2007 Touring 3 weeks ago, and as my other car is a Corvette, I need to get it to handle so I don't kill myself forgetting what car I'm in!
    I saw a Prius with 225/40/18 tires. This would be about .6 of an inch larger on the dia. than my stock 195/55/16 tires.
    I don't know my offset on the wheels or the rim width.
    The 225 tires looked like the the section height was thick enough to make it through modest potholes without denting the rim.
    I am a newbie on this forum and never had a car like a Prius before so I don't have a sense of what will and will not work relative to wheel and tire width on 18" wheels.
    I would like to get the most rubber on the road that I can without rubbing the body or wheel well liners.
    I will probably put something like a Nitto NTO1 tire like on my Vette.
    From your experience...what works?

Also I would like to install a stiffer set of stabilzer bars than came with the Touring option.
    Does anyone make these (front and rear)?

I will not change the springs or shocks at this time.
    This is my 1st post- hope it goes through.

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Roy Todd

2. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi Roy,

Let me be the first to welcome you to Priuschat.

If you have your mind set on getting 18 inch wheels and tires for your Prius, just keep in mind that your gas milage will take a hit of about 4-7mpg. The extra weight of the wheels and tires and the power that is needed to turn them is what causes the hit. I currently have 215/45/17 and I have no problems, except for the 4mpg loss. I'm sure with the 225/40/18 you should be fine.

As for suspension braces and bars, TOM'S is the brand to go with. There available at Sigma Automotive. TOM'S has 4 bars/braces for the Prius:

TOM'S Upper Stablizer (Strut)
    TOM'S Front Suspension Brace (front)
    TOM'S Floor Strengthening Brace (middle)
    TOM'S Lower Body Brace (rear)

With any of these braces you'll feel a dramatic difference compared to stock.

With all combined WITH the low profile tires to help steering response, forget bout it...not comparing to a vette though B)

The last item thats available for the Prius suspenion upgrade is the TRD Sportivo Spension Set. This kit includes new shocks and springs. A definate must for suspension junkies. (it's the last item on my shopping list)

Hope this help. Good luck

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, I'll mirror Saegai's suggestion with the TOM's.

There's also TRD Sportivos if you want.

Also, the BT Stiffening brace to replace the stock one (underneath the car) helps (at least with stock suspension).

Sigma is a good source (link in Saegai's post) so is Carson Toyota (http://www.newtoyotaparts.com/) in Cali (SoCal I believe?)

4. ROY TODD

ROY TODD New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaeGai06 @ May 4 2007, 10:29 PM) [snapback]435908[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for the referal-more complete than I expected-I was worried that there would be nothing available.
    But I read today that the Prius has been out for 6 or 7 years. I guess that's enough time to get a significant secondary parts market goig.
    Thanks again
    Roy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 4 2007, 10:42 PM) [snapback]435912[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the referals.
    I will check them out.
    My Covette has a stiffening brace perhaps similar to the Prius-when I installed it, there was a noticable change in the handling.

Thanks again

Roy

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. thfrancis

thfrancis New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Do any of the TOM's components listed above replace the BT brace as a mod? In other words is the BT brace on a different part of the underbody than the TOM's components?

Thanks.

7. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom F. @ May 7 2007, 09:34 AM) [snapback]436892[/snapback]</div>
    Tom's lower body brace will share the same connecting points as the BT plate, so if you're definitely getting that Tom's brace then you won't need the BT plate.

8. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom F. @ May 7 2007, 09:34 AM) [snapback]436892[/snapback]</div>
    There is no conflict with the TOM'S front suspension braces, since the BT plate bolts to the rear chassis area. So, if you are considering the TOM'S upper and/or lower front suspension braces, you won't have a conflict.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ May 7 2007, 10:00 AM) [snapback]436912[/snapback]</div>
    One cautionary point about the lower body brace is that there may be a fit conflict between the brace and the catalytic converter on U.S. spec cars.

9. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ May 7 2007, 10:31 AM) [snapback]436935[/snapback]</div>
    I think you mean Tom's floor brace.

10. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ May 7 2007, 03:58 PM) [snapback]437142[/snapback]</div>
    Correct, I mis-spoke.