1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Toyota Camry/Camry Hybrid Revealed!

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthre...294#post1074294

LunarMist quoted this:

More than ten million Camrys have been sold worldwide since the first Camry model launched in Japan in 1980. The Camry has been the bestselling car in America for the past four years, and 2005 was the eighth time in the past nine years that it has achieved that distinction. Clearly, a lot is at stake when Toyota decides to redesign the Camry, but from what we've seen of the all-new, 2007 model, the Camry will continue to bring home the bacon for Toyota.

Camry owners like their cars' reliability, build quality, refinement, and comfort, but during consumer research, many of them told Toyota that they wished their cars weren't so boring to look at and to drive. Hence this seventh-generation model has more curves in its sheetmetal and, Toyota promises, a little more spring in its step, thanks to an optional 3.5-liter V-6 that makes 268 hp. It's the same engine that debuted last year in the new Avalon and more recently in the new RAV4, and it's mated to an all-new, six-speed automatic transmission. The standard 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine carries over with major upgrades including a slightly higher compression ratio. It makes 158 hp and is mated to either a five-speed manual or five-speed automatic transmission.

The Camry is no bigger overall than before, but the wheelbase has been stretched from 107.1 inches to 109.3 inches. All trim grades have upgraded wheels, with sixteen-inchers replacing last year's fifteen-inchers as standard equipment. The sporty SE model, which can be equipped with either engine, gets seventeen-inch wheels. The SE also gets a full body trim kit and a V-shaped brace behind its rear seats to increase torsional rigidity. Side curtain air bags are standard on all models. Stability control is optional, but at least it's offered on all models, even the stripper CE.

America's most popular family sedan will finally receive Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive powertrain as an option. Unlike Honda, which based the Accord's hybrid powertrain on a V-6 engine, Toyota is using a four-cylinder, but it's the Camry's standard 2.4-liter four, not the 1.5-liter found in the Prius. The Camry Hybrid's gasoline engine produces 147 hp, while its electric motor provides 45 hp. A continuously variable transmission is standard. There's also an "Eco" button that decreases air conditioning output to aid fuel economy, if the driver is willing to sacrifice a bit of comfort to sip less gasoline. EPA fuel economy estimates for the Camry Hybrid are 43 mpg in the city, 37 mpg on the highway. A standard Camry equipped with the four-cylinder engine, by comparison, is rated at 25/35 city/highway when equipped with a manual transmission. Camrys with V-6 engines get 22/31 city/highway.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The existence of an "ECO" button seems to imply that Camry-Hybrid won't have full electric A/C like Prius.

Interesting, eh?

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, good point John. On the other hand, it could just be "don't go all out blasting cold air, but use it conservatively".

4. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Wow, another shoe drops. Toyota was smart to make the 2.4L the hybrid, and kill the Accord Hybrid on the EPA numbers. Let's see what actual differential there is in performance. A true 40-MPG Camry? Hard to beat.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    40 MPG (with SULEV) has been the mass-market target for Camry-Hybrid for years now, what those of using heavily endorsing the technology felt would be needed to complement the expectations of non-hybrid aspects... a configuration that offered the best overall balance.

It sure looks like Toyota fulfilled that dream.

6. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Any word on whether or not the 2.4L 4cyl engine they have in the Camry is an atkinson cycle variant like the prius?

the regular 4cyl gets 158hp compared to the 147hp in the hybrid, so there's a good chance, eh?

7. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Is it AT-PZEV?

8. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I've suggested an "ECO" button for the Prius climate control quite a few times. I suspect it might make more difference when cold - stop the engine continuously running.

9. Clar

Clar Member

Hmmm... Prius or Camry Hybrid? That's the question.

Darn it. I thought they will let people know when CH will be available.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, the question is whether it'll have a bladder or not.

KMO, do you think it's for those who don't turn off the A/C at a light? I mean I'm a little nutty and I know if i leave my A/C running, the engine will run but turning it off for that light, will have the engine stay off (after its warm up period that is)

11. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The choice between a sedan and a hatchback will be the ultimate decision factor for many people.

As for availability, the talk has been that it would be an early 2007 release, sometime in the summer... mostly likely mid-July, just like Highlander-Hybrid.

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think ride, comfort and appearance will be the main decision point for most. Those resistant to the Prius due to it's somewhat unusual appearance both exterior and interior but who like the idea of having a hybrid will be much more attracted to the more 'classic' styling of the camry. The availability of fully adjustable seats is a point that would make even me consider moving to a camry with my next hybrid purchase if the next generation Prius doesn't offer that.

And don't discount name recognition...that alone will attract many. Someone who trades in their old Camry for a new one every 5 years will give serious consideration to the hybrid version.

I tend to think there are relatively few people who make their decision based on the hatchback--not that they aren't out there, but I think that that group is small compared to those who would consider the features I mention above as paramount.

14. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

it has electric system as prius, probably with few twists that let it spend less gas during winter, which is really what I need.

My average 4-10 min trips, 80% between traffic lights are hurting my prius at 6.7l/100km!

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There is never one aspect alone. Of course your statement... Those resistant to the Prius due to it's somewhat unusual appearance ...does highlight a major turn off to Prius. Lots of people don't like the look of any hatchback... including my dad.

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's nice finally getting to see details like that... especially confirmation of the Spring availability.

I wonder how much the tax credit influenced that date. Waiting until the middle of Summer would have meant no Camry-Hybrid owner qualifying for the full amount... only getting half, since 60,000 hybrid sales from Toyota/Lexus before July is quite realistic. Seeing that phaseout process begin so quickly is rather frustrating. Other automakers will be milking that for years. Meanwhile, the ability for Toyota/Lexus to help establish the hybrid market will be impaired. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the credit?

17. sanguis

sanguis Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll bet that the eco button will lower/turnoff your A/C or heater setting when the car stops or slows, for instance at a stoplight. I think I remember an Insight owner claiming that their car turned off the A/C at a stoplight and the air still blew, with the heat exchanger still cool.

40mpg is awesome for a camry!! Does it use cylinder de-activation?

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Insight is just ECO mode, similar to the Classic Prius. This means, once you run out of cool/warm air, you're stuck with non-conditioned air, not good in the middle of winter or in the heat of summer. That's the reason why the current Prius with electric A/C compressor is a breakthrough cause we can run the A/C and have cold air blowing with the engine off.

It won't use cylinder deactivation and why would it? It shuts off the entire engine, isn't that better?

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My big question.

Will it have heated leather seats as an option? Seems another peeve with the Prius is the cheap seats and lack of adjustments. If the Camry had those it would just be sweeter.

20. sanguis

sanguis Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the A/C is on at high enough, it will run the engine because of the current draw.. maybe ECo prevents this from occuring..

Cylinder deactivation is used at cruising speeds. Currently the Prius uses all 4 cylinders at cruising, and the HAH uses 3/6 cylinders. If you shut the entire engine down, the car would slow down on the highway.