1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Trade In

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dhoward, Jul 7, 2013.

1. dhoward

dhoward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2007 Prius HB package 2 that I am considering trading for a new 2013 Prius HB. Not sure which package yet but from browsing I think sticker Prius will be around $27000. My car only has 30ooo miles on it and has been serviced by the dealer exclusively. It is in good condition body wise. I am looking for 12K to 13 K off the 27K sticker. Is this a reasonable trade in estimate? Is there anyone here who has made this model trade in for a 2013 HB and if so what did you get off sticker. BTW I am in Massachusetts.

JMD likes this.
  2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  3. desmondlee

desmondlee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    you can try and see if they will give you that much for your old car.
    Mine was a 2007 package 4 with almost 100k and all they would give me was $6500.
    Then they advertised the old car for sale at $13,999. I was told they sold it for $10,000.
    I purchased the Prius V, package 5

4. dhoward

dhoward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did look at KBB and my estimate seems to be in line with the $12K. But just because NADA and KBB give a value that does not mean the dealers believe it. That is why I am asking what other people have been getting for trade in. The 30K mileage is considered very low and adds some more value to the vehicle.

5. desmondlee

desmondlee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    the KBB for my car was a little over 9K

6. dhoward

dhoward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You make my point. Value was 9K and you only got $6500. Those estimates seem to never be real. I have to admit that it seems like $6500 was very low though. Dealer made a nice profit though...

7. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Sell it yourself, you will be money ahead and make simple the negotations for a new car. Much less chance of paying too much for your next car.

JMD likes this.
  8. dhoward

dhoward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am still looking to find out what other people have gotten for trading in their Prius. I know I could private sale it but I would prefer to avoid dealing with outside partys. Maybe we need a new thread on real world trade ins.

9. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I traded in my 2006 BMW for a 2012 Prius. It took 3 trips to different dealers and haggling. I got KBB excellent Trade In Value. Just be firm and walk out to the next one. Some used car lots will pay cash for prime cars.

Dealers will try and take advantage of you. Just be knowledgable. Sometimes if you buy and trade your car in the last day if a month or quarter you get a better deal since the dealer is trying to make a sales quota. Just play them as they will play you. Try a dealer in the next town.

You know the car is prime.

10. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have an 2007 with everything Leather, Nav ETC I was offered 10K a few months back. I had 28K Miles on it.

11. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Amazing low mileage. My BMW car a 2006 that I purchased in 2005 when I traded it in has over 100,000 miles. It took 3 different dealers before I got the deal I wanted. The car to me was a problem waiting to happen.

Used Preii with low mileage command a market premium.

12. dhoward

dhoward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is very discouraging. I was under the impression that the Prius held its value but based on what is being indicated this does not seem true as two of the posters got well below kbb price. This is not my first trade in so I am experienced with dealing. What I was trying to discover in advance what was a good central figure for worth. Apparently it is much lower then I ever expected. If I cannot get what I want or at least close to kbb then I will not trade. The car should last a long time. This question was designed to give me some more ammo for negotiating. Seem to be opposite from my expectations. The internet sites that provide trade value do not match real world expectations.

13. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    All cars depreciate and some more than others. My Bimmer cost 37K plus 3K in Taxes and 6 years later it was worth 16K.

Many people lease cars to reduce risk of unknown depreciation.

You had some reservations on selling the car yourself perhaps on Auto Trader. With such low miles you may get a premium for the car.

I suggest have the buyer pay cash only and do the transaction in the Lobby of your bank to reduce risk. When done deposit funds.

Just clear it with the bank manager.

I would think some college kid would like a used Prius with super low miles.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    generally speaking, the selling price of a new car will be discounted as much as the trade in value of a used car. in cali, where there is high demand, they don't discount too much and they give very good trade in prices beacause they can sell them for more. in the northeast, you can get a great deal on a new one and not much for your old one. you can't have it both ways. (usually)
    we just traded in our 08 hycam on a 13. they knocked $3500. off the 13 and gave us $2,000. less than kelly for the 08.
    i get my best price first on the net, then i drive the old one around to each dealer to see what they'll give me for it.

15. dhoward

dhoward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe I should reword the question. How many people made a prius trade and got at or near KBB or NADA valuation?

16. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You will almost never get KBB or NADA value on trade in, unless you're paying full sticker on the Prius. Dealers will tell you they use Blackbook or auction values, which aren't even close to KBB and NADA. Dealers are dealing so you have separate what you'll pay for the new and what you will accept for the trade in, then stick to your guns. I agree with those who suggest selling it on your own. Your car should be an easy sell and you can command closer to what you want, but I doubt you'll get $12k or $13k. People buying private sale cars are also savvy enough to research what they should pay, and of course try to come in lower on their offer. Try using Edmunds to determine valuation - I think it's more realistic but still slightly high.

17. Jamesb93612

Jamesb93612 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2 days ago, I tried to trade my 2008 Prius fully loaded (not touring) with 81000 miles. The most they would give me was $11500. That was in line with what KBB said for trade in value. I also got offered $3000 off a Prius v! I got cold feet and walked away because I love my car and there is nothing wrong with it. I just wanted a new one. With so few miles, why get a gen 3? I would wait till the 4th gen came out.

18. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good advice for OP - I would wait with only 30k miles. Depending the v model, the dealer probably had another $2000 you could negotiate down without a trade, so you probably got a good fair offer.

19. Jamesb93612

Jamesb93612 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish I could have negotiated an additional $2k off a v (that would have been $23k for a three!). That may have persuaded me to pull the trigger. However, I am in California and v's are hard to find on most lots. I found a couple of 2012's but they wouldn't budge on price. After walking away and really thinking about it, I realized that having something new just wasn't worth $14,000.

20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Who in there right mind thinks there going to get anything near trade in value at the dealer. They give you WHOLESALE to see how dumb you are. Most people bite. If you don't, what do they care there not in the used car business.

I'd hate to be experienced at trade ins:eek:

Best market check is eBay. If you have no patience to sell to public best shot is Carmax. They pay ridiculous $$ for cars. But most used Prius priced correctly move right along on the private used car market especially low milers.

A 2007 ( don't know what the hell HB means Hatch Back maybe I guess...there all hatchbacks) with 30,000 miles is worth $13,000 all day long. Unless the interior is filthy and you smoked then its $12,000. Put it in the newspaper (best place) and it will be gone in 2 days.