1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 with 200,000 good buy?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ritzy4runner, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Ritzy4runner

Ritzy4runner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New to the forum and to Prius, but a big Toyota fan for many years. I posted some info on this car in the Newb foruem as well but I need to get direct input from you guys that own this generation car. Drove it yesterday and the car is VERY clean. Drives nicely smooth acceleration and firm shudder-free stopping. I did nto notice the engine making any noises at all and noted that the underside in the engine compartment was drip/seepage free, nothing on the underside at all, just dusty, road dirt. Nice tires, thread I would put at around 75% All in all a very nice ride and one I would not have too much issue driving, but yeah at 200,000 miles I am a bit hesitant. I offered them $6800 and they countered with We are not going to go back and forth on this so our best price is $7500+ tax/license which comes out to $8500 when it is all done.

The car is a base model from what I could tell, power windows, doors A/C, single disk MP3 stereo (Toyota), cloth seats that are actually pretty clean considering the mileage. If this was a 150,000 I would probably just do it but it does not drive like a car with that kind of mileage. Some carfax info shows the water pump replaced at around 175,000 most all normal maintenace was done by the original owner up to about 80,000 miles then it changed owners. No other entries except for registrations. address changes. Has been in Washington state its whole life. Was a trade in to my local dealer who then sholesaled it to this small place in Tacoma. So any advice or recommendations I would greatly appreciate. Looking to maybe pull the trigger on this tomorrow if I can get a favorable input here and my credit union.. Thanks looking forward to contributing here as well:D

Here is the ad.

http://capitaldealersolutions.com/images/JTDKB20U577614464.jpg

2. olerox

olerox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gosh Ritzy, if it were me I'd be conflicted but continue to look... On one hand, this car looks brand new and it sounds like your personal inspection shows no red flags. Where else can you find a 2007 Prius at $7,500? On the other hand that high mileage reflects a boatload of potholes, door slamming, vibrations, computer booting and wear and tear.

As a side note, this Prius with 200K has held up remarkably well! I can only hope mine looks so good when it reaches this use. What evidence of the great Toyota design!

Good luck with your decision.

3. CookieGuru

CookieGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here's the CarFax. As to whether or not I'd buy it, it depends on:
    1. How much can you truly afford?
    2. What's your repair budget?
    3. How much are you planning to drive it?
    4. How risk adverse are you?

If...
    1. More than this, keep looking
    2. Not much, keep looking
    3. A lot, keep looking
    4. Very, keep looking

4. pdm66

pdm66 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    forget it. Plenty of others that you can go for with less miles and some still have a warranty on them. This is not a good deal by any means. Its a dealer so I will guarantee that they bought it at an auction and it was for probably about 2500 dollars.

1 person likes this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To many miles. Car looks great though. If it was a Camry I would say go for it but to many expensive things to go wrong especially if they were not hyper vigilant on trans maintenance. Lots of hills in WA. Hills are tough on a Prius. And your on the original Hybrid battery.

Unless you have alot of tools and nothing on a car scares you trans/engine replacement wise.

If it was me I'd buy a nice used Camry at half those miles.

6. Ritzy4runner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some gr8 insite here guys and thanks, I can't really afford a newer one or same gen with alot less miles the price kinda goes stratoshereic. Gas keeps going up too and around here but I may have to let this one pass as you recommend, it did really seem like a sweet car. Granted the mileage is high and it is a base model, but I was hoping for something positive, thanks for the input and I will keep waiting to hear more. Thanks guys keep the input coming, the more I have to make the decision the better, ritz

7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here is my two cent's worth: You yourself said "I can't really afford a newer one or same gen with a lot less miles the price kinda goes stratoshereic" With that said, it stands to reason you would not be able to repair this car if you bought it "as is with no warranty" and the traction battery or transaxle failed the next day. 200K on the odometer is a lot. I doubt very seriously you will/can get a warranty that will cover the expensive hybrid system on that car. Eng/tranny yeah, but the hybrid part would be real iffy in my book.

Best advice, look elsewhere and try to raise some more capital then pull the trigger.

Good luck and welcome to Prius Chat.

Ron (dorunron)

8. Prius_2012

Prius_2012 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Very well said.. If you cannot afford more than 8500 then you won't be able to afford expensive repairs! 200,000 is a lot of miles with original traction battery. I would recommend you see another car.. I think your monthly payment would be slightly more but that will give you peace of mind!

9. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well... I do not think this is appropriate for someone who has never owned a Prius before, and/or if having to pay $2000-$3000 for a major repair in the first month of ownership is not feasible.

On the other hand, that high mileage, 40,000/yr, means that it has almost always been driven on the highway and has had a comparatively easy life.

Is it a good deal? Not particularly. Are you taking a risk? Yes. Could it go 100,000 miles without a problem, or likewise have a hybrid failed battery or transmission before the ink is dry? Sure.

10. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    At that price, I honestly would seriously think about it. But I would have some cash on hand, a few grand to cover potential repairs. Don't see it as a $7500 car, but compare it to $10-12k cars; if $10-12k is your budget, get this and you have several thousand to cover repairs--worse-case, as you likely won't need them any time soon.

11. Ritzy4runner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am very glad I came here with my questions as I really do not know the in's and out's of hybrids. If it was a 4runner, no worries, I know them backwards and forwards! So in leiu of all the advice I have been getting here on this one, I think I may just have to let it slide. Toyota has made a lot more of these cars then just this one. To everyone who has contributed, I say thank you. I will be sure to bring my questions here again. I do see one of these in my not too distant future. I even talked to a couple of the sales guys at my local dealership who know me and told them not to just whole sale the next one with over 100,000 miles but give me a shot at it. I will just keep trying to put away some more cash and get one that is a bit "younger".;)

12. JetAgeHobo

JetAgeHobo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Car looks in good shape, but one thing to remember is the lot detailed it and a good lot detailer can make a hard run car look new.

For $8500 you can get some nice lower mileage (under 100K) mile cars. They might not be the most fashionable, and might be old geez cars, but if you do your research you can find some nice iron. Look in the 7K range out the door and put the other 15K on fuel. Can buy a lot of gas with that cash.

13. DTKim

DTKim Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Too much for a base 07, even if it was only 120k miles, let alone 200k. Be willing to travel outside of your area to get the best deals.

If you're looking to save money and that is your budget, consider getting a non-hybrid car with less miles with good EPA numbers like a Civic or Elantra. You'll end up saving money when you depart ways with the car since the Prius with 200+k miles will have virtually no resale/trade-in value... Consider the depreciation when thinking of net $$$ savings. This is one reason I couldn't buy a new Prius. To lose $10k in 2 years to save $3k in fuel in 2 years wasn't worth it compared to buying a used luxury SUV still under warranty, which at a great price will only lose a couple grand in 2 years when I sell.

For you, it's a lose lose situation to go for a Prius with high miles like that, even if you work on your own cars like I (try) to. Try asking your insurance company how much it would be insured for if you crashed it tomorrow. Don't pay a dime over that. Stick with your $6,800 (or lower your price) and bring in cash ($20s/$50s). Put it on the table and say this is how much I'm spending OUT THE DOOR, aside from sales tax. No extra "documentation fees", etc. If they don't bite, it isn't worth it.

14. Ritzy4runner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gr8 advice from all, but I have two Toyotas right now, a 2000 Celica which still gets around 33-36 in town/highway. It has almost 200,000 and I ahve literally spent nothing in the way of repairs on her and my 98 4runner is my "toy" truck, I do alot with it, and have I put the mods on it. I end up using it for long trips as it is way more comfortable then my Celica on long tips. I don't need another car, I just was looking for another way to get better gas mileage then with either of my present Toyota's. I didn't want to put myself way into debt over the Prius, so for now I will just put aside the money I would have ended up paying for a new car payment. Thanks again for some great advice and encouragement. I will be lurking around!