1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 with a dead traction battery, is it worth buying a new one?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by stephanie_elise, Jul 13, 2017.

1. stephanie_elise

stephanie_elise New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    She has about 265,000 miles and needs brakes, shocks and new combination meter.
    Love this old wreck, she has served me very well for almost 11 years.
    Bought her new in September 2006. Trying to weigh my options here...new car and car payment vs how much money will I have to sink into the old girl to resuscitate her.
    I'm in Orange County CA, if anyone knows of a good/trustworthy mechanic in my area.
    I knew this day would come, but now that it's here, I don't know the first thing to do!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think with the problems you're facing with the car, it's probably best to get a new car and go worry free for another 10 years. Even if you put another battery in the car, other things will start failing and may leave you stranded

I can help you fix the battery for a short term solution so you can have time to do some car shopping

3. stephanie_elise

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for your reply JC91006. For a day or so, I was driving it around the block to see if the warning lights might go out, because you know it's been scorching hot here, and I have noticed extreme heat does affect these cars. The first few days it was regenerating, going up into the blue and even green bars, but as of yesterday, it is stuck on the last red bar, not regenerating at all. Not sure there's a fix, and if there is, not sure how expensive?

4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    IF.....the only problem is with the HV battery itself, it often can be "patched up" so that it will get by for a few weeks to a few months fairly inexpensively.

BUT......it really is time for a new car. Or better yet, a good late model low mileage used car.

And it's too late now but during the 11 years you have owned your trusty Prius, it would have been even BETTER to save up a little along the way so you could PAY for a "new" car without monthly payments.

stephanie_elise likes this.
  5. stephanie_elise

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree. all valid points. I had an accident at work that kept me from working for a year. But I agree. Currently searching a late model used non hybrid so I don't run into this issue in the future. It's a gamble we take, knowing what happens when the hybrid battery dies.
    At the time I purchased it (new) I had a huge commute for 8 years, and there were not many used on the market.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    put a new battery in her, do the other repairs, and drive her until the next huge expense. then pick up a good one in need of a battery and swap it out.

7. stephanie_elise

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just feel like putting 5 grand into it and then maybe having something else major go down is too risky. On the other hand the gas mileage on these cars saves so damn much money it's hard to decide. I appreciate everyone's input.

8. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The advice of almost everyone on forums like this is well intentioned.
    But that doesn't mean that it is wise......or correct even.

There IS a point of diminishing returns and you seem to have a good sense that you have reached it.
    I agree.......that you should do what you decide is best FOR YOU.

9. Scott56

Scott56 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it had 165k instead of 265k, I'd say go ahead and fix plus replace the battery but if you haven't done any of those repairs I'd say try to sell it. If the combo meter doesn't work, you can price the dealership but from what I have read it is somewhere in the 800-1200 fix range, but some members have bought a meter for 100 dollars on ebay and did it themselves. The whole dash has to be dismantled to get to it. If it doesn't work, I'd try that first, just be careful around those airbags and disconnecting the 12v is vital. (also on the air vents, pulling from the bottom AND top portion to avoid busing the top clips which I mistakenly did) I'd search for a hybrid shop, have it towed, and have cells replaced and balance if that isn't something you want to handle, which might be 600-800 job. I would but I value my life over getting shocked to death. Some people will risk it but I make a stupid move from time to time. I almost fell though my ceiling cleaning out my a/c evaporator coils in the attic a couple months ago.

10. Rph74

Rph74 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as you have the money to buy a new car in cash, go for it. If not, it may be worth considering fixing the old car if you still like it. A new OEM battery will be $2500-3000 if you can find the right deal. You can buy a rebuilt combo meter for $150 from Texas hybrid batteries, they will ship to you. If you're somewhat handy you can do the suspension for about $500 in parts. Btw some of the labor for the rear shocks will be saved if you have them done while the battery is being replaced.
    Still, even with finding good prices on these repairs, the cost of repair will exceed the general recommendation of never spending more than half of the value of the car, so you would REALLY have to like the car to keep it.

I know I'm an oddball, but I'm not a fan of borrowing money to buy a car.

#10 Rph74, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...the other big issue GEN2 people are having is the brake actuator, for which we have extended coverage to Dec_2017...but of course that's coming upon us.

Nonetheless you can talk to Toyota USA about assistance with the battery, see what they say. You may get it down to reasonable, and the combo meter can be fixed. Also if you get a new car maybe they help fix this for you.

HV Battery Goodwill Warranty Listing - Toyota Prius USA | PriusChat

12. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's another way of looking at it:

Your car has pretty much hit rock bottom in terms of resale price. Which means that as of now, depreciation is practically nonexistent.
    If you buy a new car every 11 years, the average depreciation is roughly $2,000 per year.

With the $2,000 per year that you save by not buying a new car, you could buy a new HV battery every five years, plus spend $1,000 per year for other repairs, and still have a few hundred per year left over.

So then it is a question of how much inconvenience you are willing to put up with for the few hundred per year that you are saving.

Do you know for sure that the battery is dead? Have you seen all 14 block voltages? Sometimes smaller things like a clogged or defective battery fan, or a loose sensor connection can produce similar symptoms.

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^^I agree we do not really know if the HV batt is dead here...we are assuming a correct diagnosis. I would to go the biggest Toyota service place out there...one in good standing with Toyota.

14. stephanie_elise

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm leaning towards this. I really love life without a car payment. It's allowed me to work freelance for the last 3 years!
    However, one needs a car to get to work. The more I research, the more I'm learning. If it was any other car, I'd rid myself of it. I'm thinking maybe buy some time now to save up for a newer one. I honestly can't imagine driving anything else...and there are enough people here to show I'm not alone on this!

bisco likes this.
  15. stephanie_elise

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree, I need to get the codes read. I have started it daily and done a loop around my block. The brakes are not regenerating the battery, nor is the engine. Might be a combination of both. Who knows. Only one way to find out.

16. stephanie_elise

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is the brake actuator what's making the weird chirping noise at stops intermittently? I trust any of you far more than a dealer. I want to be armed with as much information as possible. What annoys me about the combo meter is that I actually saw a recall for it, on my year model, yet my VIN series wasn't on the list. Has anyone fought this and won? I seem to have seen someone talking about that here a few months ago.

17. stephanie_elise

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You 're not an oddball! I'm right there with you. In researching the prices of a new battery, transaxle, engine, etc. I'm finding that replacing all of this is cheaper than I thought, and definitely cheaper than a new car. And, I honestly really do like this one that much!

18. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That is an emotional response......and you NEED to be practical.

If......you sell this car (and you won't get much) and add in the price of a real new battery from Toyota, that total could get you a used small economy car that should be more reliable than your worn out Prius and you could STILL save up without a car payment.

19. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Unfortunately that could be a mistake.
    People post here for ALL KINDS of reasons, some of them having nothing to do with really helping others.
    The good news is that there aren't many like that.......but sometimes it is hard to tell the difference.

20. Rph74

Rph74 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, just the sales tax on a new car would be quite close to the cost of a new HV battery. And when you factor in depreciation on a new car, you come out Ahead more often than not when fixing the old car. The Gen II Prius really is an amazing car, mine has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, as seems to be the experience of many others here.

Fwiw, I spent $2400 last summer to have a new HV battery put in. I'm now hoping for 9-10 more years of service from this thing!

#20 Rph74, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    m.wynn likes this.