1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Ttopcubasi, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Ttopcubasi

Ttopcubasi New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you read This Thead Yet? Could not find the article following the link, but I don't expect exactly the EPA advertised performance just something that is close to it.

- What fuel economy are you getting and how are you determining fuel economy? (trip computer or manual calculations) I am using the trip computer now, and when I first bought the car I used the manual method. Recently it is under 40mpg more like 38.5mpg. When I moved to TX it was consistently 42mpg. In TN it was about 48mpg

- What fuel economy are you expecting and why?
    At least 41mpg
    - What are the approximate outside air temps?
    Average temp in the summer is like 98F daily
    - How long are your trips?
    Sporadic driving every other day for maybe 20 - 30 miles
    - How much of it is city vs. highway? Roughly what's the average speed in overall and and of each segment? Is there a lot of stop and go driving?
    75% hwy and rest city
    - What region/state are you in? (if you haven't set your location in your profile)

- What's the terrain like of your drives? (e.g. flat, gentle hills, steep hills, etc.)
    flat and gentle hills
    - Is your oil overfilled? (i.e. above the full mark on the dipstick)
    No
    How old is your 12v battery? What is the voltage reading of your 12v battery after sitting over night? (Method Here)
    Probably the original battery that is 5 years old now. When I performed the test method described above it showed 12.3V for unloaded battery, and then 11.6V with current load
    Have you had your alignment checked? Any pulling or abnormal tire wear?
    No on both
    - Are you using the factory tires and wheels? If not, please indicate tire make, model and size (e.g. Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max 185/65R15).

- What are your tire pressures?
    38psi front
    35psi rear
    - Make, model, year, engine and transmission of previous car? (e.g. 08 Honda Civic Si 2.0L 4 cylinder, manual transmission) What did you actually get on the same trips/commute? (Please give us actual numbers, not EPA ratings.)

- How are you trying to drive (e.g. trying to stay in electric only?) and how hard are you braking?
    not very hard on the brakes. I would say average
    - Are you "warming up" the ICE (internal combustion engine) by letting it idle after powering on?
    yes usually
    - Are you driving using D or B mode?
    D mode
    - HVAC settings? Are you using the heater, AC, auto mode, etc.? If using auto, what temp is it set to?
    AC is set to 75F and usually is constantly working
    - If reporting a mileage drop, did anything significant change on your car (e.g. accident, hit a curb or big pothole throwing off alignment, oil change/other maintenance/repairs, changed tires or wheels, etc.) or your commute?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need a new 12v. and 98 degrees will kill your mpg's.

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does the engine shut down when you come to a complete stop? How many miles on the car? Do you see sudden big swings in the battery gauge?

4. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Something a simple as over filling on the last oil change can cause mpg to drop into the high 30s. Even the Toyota dealer servicing can and do overfill the oil.
    I note you state you are letting the car warm-up. This is unneeded and will reduce your MPG.