1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 $2k 250,000 miles, My Mechanic Says "Doit" NEWBIE:-)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MarkOnEarth, Feb 2, 2020.

1. MarkOnEarth

MarkOnEarth New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

My mechanic, whom I have trusted for years, has recommended an 08 Prius with 248k miles that I can buy for $2,000. He has personally maintained the vehicle for the last 5 years and was close to purchasing for customers as a loaner when they need one.
    I believe it still has original battery. Looks very nice and he says it's in great shape mechanically.
    So should I take the plunge and buy this for my daughter? She drove only 5 thousand miles last year (17yo) but she will be going to college an hour away and it should meet her needs.
    I'm perfectly prepared to purchase the hybrid battery when/if the time comes. Costs about $2500 for a new one?

Sorry for asking such a rookie/newbie question but any and all advice would be appreciated!!!!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It depends on if you're a DIY repair person or not? And if not will the mechanic treat this as if it was in his personal fleet in order to keep repair costs low? Such as source used parts for you at cost, do repairs on the side for cash, etc.

3. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a good deal in KY. I bought mine just over a year ago for almost twice that with 216k on it. If he has maintained it for five years, you've essentially already had an inspection (since you trust him and he presumably has no financial interest in you buying this car.) If you can replace the battery yourself, it'd be significantly cheaper than $2500.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The recommendation is the thing.
    Over the internet, what you're asking for is a thumbs up on buying a 12 year old Prius with over 248.000 miles on it. That's a hard thumbs up for me.
    The crux is how much do you trust the evaluation you are being given by your trusted mechanic who evidently has maintained the vehicle the past 5 years?

In general I would say investment into a 12 year old , 248K Prius, with the original Hybrid Battery, for a driver that has only averaged < 5000 miles a year driving? -Wouldn't be my choice.
    But if you realize that...the recommendation of your trusted mechanic today won't make a difference in terms of what repairs might arise in the future?
    And you're willing to invest into repairs upcoming, that could easily be a Hybrid Battery replacement?
    Well....you are starting out with a sterling recommendation.

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That's most of the battle on that model. Congrats & good luck!

MarkOnEarth likes this.
  6. MarkOnEarth

MarkOnEarth New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will ask him, but he has assisted me in the past (with Hybrid Brake Pressure Pump on a Highlander). But I believe he would totally hook me up with battery replacement. But I will ask! Thanks:) I appreciate your post. Mark

I will have to learn about saving money on battery replacement on this forum! Thanks for the info:) Mark

#6 MarkOnEarth, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2020
  7. MarkOnEarth

MarkOnEarth New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I totally understand not being able to give 2 thumbs up over the internet! Totally:) I do trust him though. He is the reason I sold an Impala my daughter was driving due to rust mostly.
    I have culled, from the forum, a list of things that typically go wrong with the Prius after 125,000 miles. I will bring that along to test my mechanic somewhat. He is very anal about his shop and his cars. He has a photographic memory kinda thing going on with cars he works on. I have never had him recommend a car to me before... so at first I was like no way. But if the car is solid mechanically, then all I hope to have to deal with in the short term is the battery possibility. But, if this becomes a demon car and money pit, I may never be able to buy a used car again. My wife is totally against the purchase. I told her "You drive a Highlander with 180k miles on it, some people would think that is crazy too".
    Anyway, I'm VERY tempted! My daughter will be driving quite a bit more at University. Maybe more like 15k a year.
    Thanks so much for your post! I will be a skeptic when I go to see the Prius today and ask some more mechanical type questions from my mechanic:) Thanks again, Mark

The Electric Me likes this.
  8. MarkOnEarth

MarkOnEarth New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well,
    The owner of the mentioned Prius sold it just minutes ago. Before I could even get to it.
    Sorry for bugging you guys!
    Now I need to look for another Prius. My daughter is kind of a tree hugger:) I guess I'm on the hunt again.

Mavi likes this.
  9. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Repairs at that point will get very pricy... I don't recommend high mileage hybrids for anyone. The prius being as a reliable as can be, I still don't recommend it. If it was a non hybrid thats a separate thing.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ask him how much he will charge for a new engine, battery, brake actuator and a/c compressor, get it in writing, and buy it

11. MarkOnEarth

MarkOnEarth New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is a brake actuator? Does that provide brake pressure after the gas engine shuts off, like lees than 5 MPH? Thanks:)

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It is a complicated set of valves, chambers and computers that control all the braking since the engine only runs part time.
    There is a pump, and a pressure tank.
    A new one is around $2,500.