1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008/9 2nd Gen versus 2010 3rd Generation Prius- What to buy?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by stolencivic, Apr 18, 2010.

1. stolencivic

stolencivic New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I drove a honda civic until it was stolen and dismantled by some lovely neighborhood teenagers. Now I am going to buy a Prius. I have looked at other hybrids and Prius seems to be the best fit for me. However, I have always been wary of buying a brand new car. But, because the 2010's are third generation, I am tempted to buy this more expensive instantly depreciating car.

I know the differences between the second and third generation but I just need some input from someone who has driven or owned both. I haven't a car since mine was stolen so anything would be step up! Is buying a brand new prius a waste or money and should I only consider 2008 or 2009 - or is buying a 2010 a much better car. I have seen and ridden in both and I can't decide.

Advice?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    love my 08! toyota's don't depreciate that rapidly, see shat a used 10 will cost you. and there are some decent deals out there on new ones. maybe a new 09 if you can find one? sorry, havn't driven the 10 yet but am considering, although trying to hold out 2 years for the plug in. good luck, whatever you wind up choosing, i'm sure you're gonna love it!

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Will you have a more secure place to park it? The lovely neighborhood teenagers would probably find a new whatever more tempting than a used whatever.

4. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a 2008 and a 2010 both base models. I get 8 MPG better in the 2010 and find that the ride and handling are better than the 2008. The seats are better also. The big negative is the number of rattles in the dash. I say go for the new one. You should be able to get a $1500 to $1700 discount.

5. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've not driven a second generation (OK, I drove one "once"), but I do love my 2010 Prius (was driving a 1989 Integra). There are some definite measurable advantages of the 2010 (more power, better gas mileage, better brakes) and not easily measureable advantages (no bladder in the gas tank, thus you will know, accurately, how much gas is in the tank, for example).

Depreciation is only for the fools who plan on selling their cars. I drive them until they are effectively spent. My 1989 Integra LS (with air conditioning) with 230,000+ miles wouldn't sell for more than $750. If it was a lower trim RS, it wouldn't sell for more than $750. If it had every option known to mankind, it wouldn't sell for more than $750.

You get the idea.

Depreciation is a sloping curve that shallows out after several years.

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Consider buying an old beater car until you can move to a different neighborhood. Might save you a lot of grief, getting a new (or newer) car trashed has to be painful.