1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008: 90L floor mat recall?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AJP, Nov 29, 2011.

1. AJP

AJP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am considering privately buying a 2008 Prius. I typed in the VIN on Toyota's recall site and it came up as "unresolved" under the 90L "floor mat" recall.

I've done a little research on this but can't seem to pin down what the actual remedy for this was (and yes, I know many people say the floor mat is just a coverup). I've read Toyota advice from everything from taking the mats out, making sure the mats are sitting correctly, and taking the car to a dealer to have the accelerator pedal "reshaped". Can someone shed some light on the real deal?

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Normally, you can lookup details of recalls at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm. If you click on Document Search, you can see a lot more details like the owner notification letters, remedy instructions, etc.

I doubt the floor mat was coverup. I think it was Toyota trying to eliminate possible pedal entrapment. Yes, Toyota did swap out floor mats but since I intentionally didn't want to pay for their floor mats, none were swapped out for me and I didn't receive a free one.

As for the accelerator pedal reshaping, yes, this was done for me w/o even asking me if I wanted it done. I brought my car to a dealer for maintenance and after the fact, they either told me or I saw on the receipt they did the work.

3. AJP

AJP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the link and info. :)