1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Camry Hybrid without NAV -- Tank AVG Reset

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by mwbueno, Nov 14, 2007.

1. mwbueno

mwbueno New Member

Hi All,

I have a 2008 Camry Hybrid without the Navigation package. I am already very fond of this vehicle after having a classic Prius & an 04 Prius. My primary reason for buying this car was for the 105 kW MG2 with the extra planetary which I plan to make full use of each eventually.

Anyone that knows me knows I don't leave things alone very long. I have added a tachometer, a 3 kilowatt 110 Volt AC inverter, 0W-20 Mobil Synthetic, very high pressure in all 4 tires, a capacitor array in parallel with the OEM NiMH and a MPG reset switch. I have begun datalogging & tests on the NiMH & BMS to see what the best fit for a TCH-PHEV will be... & the car is being prepped for that along with some other things.

I have 3,880 miles on it & have not had a tank under 41 MPG yet. My highest average for 400 miles was 49.2 most of which was travelled at 60 MPH. I pretty much have the Energy Use Simulator done for it also.

One of the first things to frustrate me was the inability to reset MPG Average without refueling the tank. I believe those with the nav option can do this but, those of us without the nav option have to refuel the tank to get the 'MPG Average' to reset. In fact, it is called 'TANK AVG.' I thought I would share this mod with my fellow non-nav 2008 TCH owners.

There are a few things to note about reseting your MPG Average in this fashion.
    1) The ignition must be on & the 'READY' light showing.
    2) The reset button must be held down for 5 seconds to clear the MPG Average.
    2) All the lights & guages discontinue functioning when you push the reset button down... don't be alarmed the all come back on when you reset button comes back up.
    3) Sometimes the Battery fill portion of the Combination Display will not show the Engine & Battery usage arrows .... this clears up when you shut the car off & restart it.
    4) I will continue testing this arrangement & check the vehicle for DTCs & etc & report back if anything goes negatively... some of you may want to wait a week or two before doing this to see if all has gone well with this particular mod... I promise to let you know if anything goes negatively.

For the brave of heart... here is a JPG of what I have done:

[​IMG]

Best Regards,
    Wayne

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't there a AVG MPG and TANK MPG? Couldn't you reset AVG MPG instead?

3. mwbueno

mwbueno New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 14 2007, 07:23 PM) [snapback]539731[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Tideland,

No, not in the non-Nav 08 TCH.

As an update for all... In testing this evening I noticed a DTC of P0500 got stored right after I did a reset while the Cruise Control was operating. P0500 is the code for a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) fault. This DTC was simply stored in the Hybrid Vehicle ECU; no warning lights or anything else came on & all systems continued to function normally. So far this has only happened while the Cruise Control was ON. I cleared the DTC & continued testing without Cruise Control ON & no more DTCs.

Best Regards,
    Wayne

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, good stuff Wayne. I look forward t your further adventures in hybrid mods!
    Be sure to take a look at the new (slowly growing) hybridchat.com site as it'll be a more active site for the Camry hybrid and future hybrid stuff.

Haven't figured out and EV button yet have ya?

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mwbueno @ Nov 14 2007, 07:34 PM) [snapback]539770[/snapback]</div>
    really? wow that is odd indeed. The other Toyota/Lexus cars with the Trip Computer have both AVG MPG and TANK MPG. do not know why they left it out on the TCH.

6. mwbueno

mwbueno New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 14 2007, 09:44 PM) [snapback]539777[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Evan,

No, I heard, first-hand, they (Toyota) were not very happy with me over figuring the Prius EV Button out or at least not very happy about me sharing it on the groups. But, guess what?... when I figure it out for the TCH, it will be public information very quickly.... maybe you can photograph an install & do the official writeup for the TCH-EV-Button like you did the Prius. I'll betcha I figure it out!

I'll check out hybridchat... thanks for the heads-up!

Best Regards,
    Wayne

7. mwbueno

mwbueno New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 14 2007, 09:49 PM) [snapback]539781[/snapback]</div>
    I agree... very odd! Here is what the Owner's manual shows for mileage or MPG info in the 08 TCH w/o NAV:

[​IMG]

Best Regards,
    Wayne

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mwbueno @ Nov 14 2007, 09:52 PM) [snapback]539786[/snapback]</div>
    LOL!! You figure it out and I'll carjack a HyCam to do the write up on!!
    Come on..it took us over a month after the Prius was released to get that EV mod online!

9. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I won't say EV mode isn't there. But it may not be.

With the Prius, the Japanese and European versions of the car have EV mode. A great starting point.

I'm assuming the US Prius mod pulls the same ECU pin low - just as on the Japanese and European versions.

Unfortunately there isn't a European or Japanese Camry...