1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Gas Milage Drop

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ethanhunt, Jan 4, 2008.

1. ethanhunt

ethanhunt Feline Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey I was doing some reaserch and I noticed that all the prius' previous to 2008 (2004 - 2007) had gas mileage ratings of 60/51 . Now, in the 2008 model, the ratings all of a sudden drop down to 48/45 . I can't figure out what toyota changed to have the milege drop so signifigantly. Can anyone help me out here?

2. diamondlarry

diamondlarry EPA MPG #'s killer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Toyota didn't actually change the car any. The EPA changed the way they calculate the mileage. Before, they tested the car based on being warmed up, no A/C, easy start-ups from traffic signals/signs etc. They changed the ratings in an attempt to make the testing more like the average person drives.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota changed nothing. The US EPA changed their test procedures to make them more realistic and representative. (New cars for sale in the US must report the US EPA fuel economy figures and cannot report them from any other source.)

4. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Toyota didn't change anything. Your government did. Toyota doesn't get to choose the MPG numbers that are assigned to the cars. The United States EPA tests the cars and then assigns them the MPG rating. In 2008 the EPA changed their procedures. This lowered the reported MPG numbers for most cars (not just Toyota), however it is most noticeable in cars that get really good mileage.

If a car used to be reported at 17 MPG and drops 20% due to the new methods its new rating is 14 MPG (a loss of 3.4 MPG rounded off to 3)

If a car like the Prius used to be reported at 61 MPG and drops 20% due to the new methods its new rating is 49 MPG (a loss of 12.4 MPG rounded off to 12)

5. ethanhunt

ethanhunt Feline Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow, that was fast. Thanks a lot!

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes, but unfortunately the EPA MPG ratings are now "more realistic and representative" of the results a typical hotrod or Hummer driver would get behind the wheel of a Prius.

On the positive side, we caring Prius drivers can now routinely beat the EPA estimates without trying. :)

7. kayak99

kayak99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a Prius for my wife a week ago after visiting three dealerships. At each dealership the words from the sales people about this change was, to a man, - Toyota has to reveal realistic figures, that the 60 mpg figure was never reached by the average user.

8. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm sure they were singing an entirely different tune a year ago when the cars carried the 60/51 MSRP sticker.

9. kayak99

kayak99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am sure they were! :rolleyes: