1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Gen-2 with 260k mi. - what should I plan to replace?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by David P. Howard, May 9, 2019.

1. David P. Howard

David P. Howard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello,

I am the original owner of a 2008 Prius standard which has recently got to 260k miles. I replaced the original water pump at 140k because I could hear the bearing make noise at idle, the mechanic confirmed after replacement the bearing was going bad and I caught it in time.

Well, I hear the same rattle coming from the engine at idle and I will assume I need another water pump, but I was wondering if I needed to look at other things to replace, like the timing chain guides/tensioner, oil pump, etc. The car runs fine mechanically, the only issue I have is the slight noise I hear when it idles. I also did plugs and wires and other tune-up items at 150k. Currently I get 38MPH, down from the original 44MPG I used to average.

I have a few other minor issues, none seem related to the engine or mechanical. Other than the water pump at 140k, I had a few other items replaced under Toyota TSB's (I think it was the silver fuel pump), and also the fan for the AC/Heat died at 160k and I replaced that myself easily, OEM battery went at 180k, but other than those items, that is the extent of the repairs.

Can someone give me a list of items I should replace, and if possible the Toyota OEM part numbers?

Thanks,

David

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice run..

Have you been following the Toyota Maintenance Schedule? o_O

If you haven't already, then replace the Transaxle fluid as it will be quite dark by now :eek:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    everything!:p

j/k. someone with high mileage experience will be along. keep her going! all the best(y)

4. bobodaclown

bobodaclown Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Check the inverter coolant pump also.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The fuel pump is located within the fuel tank (for North American Prius with the fuel bladder) and cannot be replaced other than by replacing the fuel tank.

How about the suspension: I would expect the front struts and rear shocks are dead by now.

I don't know if it is worthwhile to replace the oil pump as it is necessary to remove the engine front cover and that is not easy to accomplish with the engine installed.

The slight noise perhaps is due to the valve clearances growing as the engine has worn.

The worsened fuel economy may be due to the engine wearing out (hence not as efficient as when new) and the traction battery having reduced capacity (hence reduced benefit from regenerative braking).