1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Gen II Prius; ODO meter stuck

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hsnmz, Jun 25, 2013.

1. hsnmz

hsnmz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have imported a prius 2008 from Japan in Jan 2013. Toyota does not sell Priuses in Pakistan so the Toyota dealers here lack the expertise but they can handle usual issues.

Now to the problem; I have recently noticed that the ODO meter of the car does not work i.e. it is stuck at the reading (57735 km) it was on when I got the car and does not record/show the increase in mileage. the trip A and B are working perfectly fine. I took the car to the local Toyota dealer but he has no clue what is wrong with it, the guy there suggested that ECU is working fine but the ODO meter is damaged and needs replacement.

I am not sure what the guy at the dealership suggested is correct because what i think is that if ODO gets damaged then the whole speedo meter should mal function. So need your input on what could be the actual problem and how can it be resolved.

thanks

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the trip ODO's and speedometer are working OK, that means the speed signal going to the ECU in the Combination meter is also OK. The three ODO counters are all working off the one input. That would say that there is some extremely specific problem with the counter in the main ODO, which is internal to the ECU.

I would have to agree with the Toyota technician. This is a rare failure mode. There is a warranty extension in effect for the Combination Meter, in the US, due to high numbers of other failures. So it is not the most reliable circuit in the car.

3. hsnmz

hsnmz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    that means there's no other way than to get the speedo meter changed. finding parts and a good mechanic is another challange here in Pakistan. Anyhow lets see what I can find and thanks for the reply