1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. JoeyJoeJoShabadoo Jr

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey All,
    My 08, with 40k miles, is having some strange symptoms with the HID lights. There are two issues that are happening and both have been increasing in frequency over the past few thousand miles.

1. The drivers side bulb will very frequently just turn off. From what i've read it sounds like this is the sign that the bulb is starting to go, so a replacement would be needed.

2. Both bulbs go off, simultaneously. This one can be a bit scary when driving at night and you realize that your lights arent on!

It first starting happening around 37k, figures! I know a tech at my local toyota and they took a look at it for me. He said everything looked good and that it probably is just the bulbs going. Now i can understand if they independently go out, but for both to go out at the exact same time seems to me highly coincidental being that it has happened almost a dozen times.

I'm going to switch the bulbs and see if anything changes, but has anyone else had/heard of the dual failure issue? Any advice?

2. pwrstick

pwrstick Junior Member

I can't speak to the dual headlight issue, but in case you don't know, you can turn the headlights off/on real quick to get the single headlight temporarily back on. You may have to do this several times throughout your drive though...

I'm really perplexed by this issue. My passenger side HID started going at 100k (2005 model), and I started investigating. All signs pointed to either replacing the bulb, or the entire setup behind the bulb, which is an expensive fix. However, I figured out the off/on trick and told myself I'd get to a dealer to fix it, but then the issue went away!

I bet you could call Toyota and tell them both your lights are turning off and they'd fix it for free though. People on this board reported calling Toyota about the single light issue, and then going to a dealer, paying for the fix, and then sending the receipt to Toyota for a reimbursement. Sounds like the rules change a bit when your safety is involved.