1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 HiHy Price

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SureValla, Nov 22, 2007.

1. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So I was looking into the 2008 HiHy recently and was astounded by the price.

Regular Highlander starts at 30k
    Hybrid starts at 38K

I dont get it why would you spend an extra 8k for 5-6 extra mpg? can any actual highlanders weigh in on this? it just doesnt seem to make sense financially to me

also if toytota is going to make such a price difference why not also do it with the prius? It seems to me you dont actually have to pay extra for the prius just becuase its a hybrid?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SureValla @ Nov 22 2007, 07:50 PM) [snapback]543083[/snapback]</div>
    because there's no Prius non-hybrid equivalent. You should see the pricing up here for the regular Highlanders.

Also check the features. There may be standard features on the HiHy that's not available on the base model.

3. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 22 2007, 11:10 PM) [snapback]543087[/snapback]</div>

hmm you make a good point. It seems that one of the options on the highlander is you can add the hybrid if you want to spend top dollar, kind of like the leather seats in the last package of the prius.

This changes my view of toyota I was impressed that they were making lots of hybrids but now it seems there only in it halfway.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    HyHi performs like a V8 and gets better fuel economy. Most people pays for $2-3K for V8 for extra acceleration and power.

The other two parts of the equation is better fuel economy and lower emission.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SureValla @ Nov 22 2007, 09:19 PM) [snapback]543118[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah but what usbseawolf said. People pay $2k for a V6 upgrade (~ difference btwn a 4 cylinder and V6 family sedan). I don't know what the premium is for a V8 upgrade in an SUV but it's probably similar. This is no different.

They are. Here's the list

Prius
    Camry
    Highlander/Kluger
    RX/Harrier
    GS
    LS
    Crown
    Estima
    Alphard
    Coaster

That's 10 models.

6. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 23 2007, 01:44 AM) [snapback]543140[/snapback]</div>

what i meant is there not making them financially available to everyone, a hybrid in there minds seem to be a luxury item

10 models? I consider myself well informed on hybrid techonology and even I only knew of half of those cars. How can they expect the general public to know even close to my number. If they were really interested in hybrids they would price them competitively and advertise their product better

7. pdqgp

pdqgp New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have to agree. I want to drive a hybrid and really like the Hylander, but am not going to pay that much for one. I can afford the vehicle, but don't feel it makes a lot of financial sense to spend that much on it just to get a hybrid. Afterall, if one can afford the initial price, paying a few bucks more for gas isn't likely a concern.

I am now moving more closely to the Camry Hybrid but even still I won't likely pay near $30k. I found a really nice used one with Leather, Navi and the JBL system for $26k with 18,000 miles on it. I drove it and really like it. Now it's a matter of do I buy that now for me or a new Minivan for my wife and hold off on the hybrid until next fall.

Choices are tough.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SureValla @ Nov 23 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]543228[/snapback]</div>

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SureValla @ Nov 23 2007, 08:56 AM) [snapback]543228[/snapback]</div>
    That's the thing. The reason why the extra luxuries are added is to give the public a perception of "added value".

In Canada, $35k gets you loaded 2008 Prius Special Edition (i.e. Touring) or a fully loaded TCH (no nav).

For $35k, people expect a car with leather so in the public's mind, the TCH is a better value (and it probably is since power moonroof, power heated front seats etc are also included). Note we don't get leather or HID on the Prius in Canada.

4 of those cars are in Japan only. The rest are in NA.

9. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SureValla @ Nov 22 2007, 08:50 PM) [snapback]543083[/snapback]</div>
    I think you got the base prices confused.
    The Highlander (gas only) starts at $27,300
    Base Highlander Hybrid starts at $33,700
    and the LIMITED Highlander Hybrid is $39,950

33k is resonable to me, especially since you could consider it to be equivelant to the 'loaded' gas version of the Highlander.

10. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomorrowMatters @ Nov 23 2007, 03:47 PM) [snapback]543339[/snapback]</div>
    no i didnt I went straight to toyota.com

base highlander: 27,985
    base hybrid highlander: 38,820
    Limited: 45,070

perhaps you are not adding in the options package into the hybrid and hybrid limited they make you get

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SureValla @ Nov 23 2007, 01:04 PM) [snapback]543342[/snapback]</div>
    LOL

Yeah the HiHy prices you quoted are fully loaded versions of their respective trim levels lol. So that's the Popular Package Plus for the base and the nav and stuff for the Limited.

I do not know but it's reasonable from a Canadian perspective :p .

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just ran the comparison on Edmunds.com.

The Highlander Hybrid comes only in AWD versions. According to Edmund's, in the Boston area the base price for the non-limited version is $33,700. The base price of the non hybrid AWD is $31,400.

13. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Nov 23 2007, 07:20 PM) [snapback]543407[/snapback]</div>

you guys dont seem to understand you need to add the base option onto your prices

14. hoop

hoop On The South Texas Coast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    also if toytota is going to make such a price difference why not also do it with the prius? It seems to me you dont actually have to pay extra for the prius just becuase its a hybrid?
    [/quote]

You are paying extra for the Prius because it is a hybrid. You are paying several thousand dollars more for it than you would if you were buying a Corrola or Yaris or what a plain Civic would cost.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SureValla @ Nov 23 2007, 05:07 PM) [snapback]543416[/snapback]</div>
    What if he can buy the base HiHy in Boston? without any options?

If though your area may only sell the fully loaded versions, that doesn't mean you can't order other models with less options. You'll just have to wait for it a bit longer.