1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Hybrid battery installed Wrong! P0a08 P3108

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by deanGo, Aug 10, 2023.

1. deanGo

deanGo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    yr. ago purchased a 2008 w/ 50k miles and had a reman battery installed recently. The (new/reman) batteries were removed to replace the harness that runs under the batteries. When batteries were re-installed they were put back in the wrong order. 1 thru 28 cells was shifted one down making all the positive and all the negatives in the wrong spots. Been a tough pill to swallow. A 62 yr old mechanic that went back to school for this and has his ase certified electrical cert. Understand that doesn't matter always but I feel this guy made an honest mistake. Thankful for his honesty, just trying to figure out the solutions or where i could advise him to start. The car does start and run but has some codes and the triangle of death. P0A08 dc/dc converter status circuit- P3108 Lost communication w/ a/c system control module- and the battery is on the radio screen along with the down arrow in pic of car. This guy wants to make it right and we have access to a parts car and he has a snap- on modis scanner. Thanks for any input in advance. Dean

#1 deanGo, Aug 10, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2023
  2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That might be a first, a reversed hybrid vehicle battery install.

I hope you get it sorted.

#2 dolj, Aug 11, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2023
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If all the modules were shifted the positives would be out of alignment with what? Seriously is that a thing I have two racks sitting on the bench now I got to go out and look and see how that would work If I unrack the modules even if I flip them around as long as they're kept up and the something doesn't sound right about that whole thing but I'm not the one.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you're gonna need tech stream to get all the codes and sub codes.

can you post a pic of the modules in the wrong places?

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The snap on modis is a capable scantool and should do everything needed.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Tombukt2 and bisco like this.
  6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So, I don't expect that the assembly error did much - the battery ecu would have had a hissy fit and not allowed the HV contactors to close. If that ecu wasn't hurt in the process then move on.

The P0A08 - first I check the small 5A fuse and wiring at the 12V battery, as well as charge and condition of the 12V. What is the DC-DC converter doing? Voltage level when the car is ready?

Sometimes the converter is damaged - usually by a reversed polarity 12V connect or jump start. It's a few hours to swap one if needed.

As far as loss of A/C ecu communication - what does the scan tool show? Can it comm with the A/C? Does the system work?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.