1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Key Fob Programming

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Duhkote, Jun 2, 2022.

1. Duhkote

Duhkote Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi all,

Longtime lurker but finally made an account! I've been dealing with trying to program a new key fob for my '08 Prius and it's not working. I've done it before which is why I am so confused.

I was able to get the lock/unlock function to work on the new fob, but when I try to program the start/stop function (doing the chicken dance of inserting the key 5 times, open/close the door 6 times, etc.), when I insert the new key fob the anti-theft light blinks 5 times (twice, then 3 afterwards) for a minute or so and then it starts flashing once intermittently. Unfortunately, the new key fob will not start the car.

Any advice on if I can fix this? Thanks in advance! :)

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you read the entire 'Chicken Dance' thread? I'm sure somewhere towards the end of that thread there are a few variations to try.

Be aware that some variations might do 'the erase all keys except this key' function, plus there is information on how to decode the various feedback flash sequences. For example, one sequence tells you all key slots are used, so cannot add a new key.

This information has been documented on PriusChat within the Gen 2 section, so search is your friend.

SFO likes this.
  3. Duhkote

Duhkote Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I read a few threads but maybe not as extensively as I should've... Would it be in my best interested to do the "erase all keys except this one" sequence and then add the other key in? I'm struggling to find information on the flash sequences so I'm not sure what it's trying to tell me lol.

I did see the former but was hesitant to do anything that would effectively make my car unusable

4. Duhkote

Duhkote Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi all,

First off, I want to thank dolj for their insight -- your advice set me in the right direction! I am going to compile the relevant resources I found in this thread so that anyone googling similar stuff as me will find it all in one place:

For anyone wondering if they hit the 5 limit key in the 2nd gen Prius, it will flash 5 times (twice, then 3 very quickly afterwards). Helpful post from Dolj once again explaining it:
    Now that that is established, here is what you do:
    In other words, you will:
    1. Remove and insert the key 6 times, leaving it in on the 6th insertion
    2. Open and close your door 7 times
    3. Wait a second or two and remove the key from the slot
    4. From there, only that key will be able to start/stop the car and lock/unlock it
    LASTLY, you will follow the steps in this thread (I did Procedures A and C because I have a non-SKS Prius, but you may need to do Procedure B depending on what you're doing). I have also included them below for ease of use.

SFO likes this.