1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 low mileage

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Mistwalker1, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Mistwalker1

Mistwalker1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello all first time posting, I currently have a 2008 Prius that's giving me between 36 and 37 mpg, I bought it used, now I previously had a 2005 before I used it to go deer hunting .

Now my commute hasnt changed I still drive about 45 miles to and from (90 round trip) work 4 days a week, now my 2005 would be in the 43-47 range depending on how close I stayed to the 65mph speed limit, but for some reason the 2008 only gives me between 36 and 37 mpg average. I do alot if coasting to stop and ease up to my highway speeds like I did with my 2005.

Only noticable difference from this car to that one is the fact the 2008 has an auto start is there anything else I can look into, I'm not getting the odd 12v battery things and using the diagnostic feature on the display sais the 12v is working, any other thoughts?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Difference between 37mpg and 43mpg always seems like alot but percentage-wise, it's not that much and is within range of normal operating ability without error codes. So this is more an issue of optimizing MPG not fixing anything... That being said, there's lots you can do... #1 biggest boost will be be low rolling resistance tires inflated up into 40's when it comes to PSI. Beyond that reducing friction via fresh trans fluid change, 0W-20 motor oil, new filters, cleaning throttle body. Also reducing weight... Some people let junk pile up in their car. Then the there's electrical, a really high quality 12volt, 55amp hour wheelchair/backup power supply battery will serve you way longer and will cost way less than what they recommend for Prius at an auto parts store. And weak, aging 12volt can hurt MPG, likewise the hybrid battry needs to be reconditioned, recharge and re-balance on a regular basis once it gets older. There are several ways you can do this, the easiest being for less than $1K via: FAQ Or most expensive is $2K plus labor for whole new stack of battery modules, which will definitely boost MPG and ensure that they won't fail for the rest of the life of the car.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is auto start?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tires can easily account for the difference.

actually testing the 12v would still be a good idea

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on each car?

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Auto start is when it starts automatically... Always love to have those windshield wipers waking me up in the morning!!!

7. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do not forget he is located in Minnesota. Cold weather reduced mileage

PriusCamper likes this.
  8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yea... 0W-20 motor oil might not be good in that kind of weather. Also best MPG in a Prius for me is always when temps get up into the 75-80' range...