1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 MPG monitor resets itself

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 08 mag grey, Jul 13, 2008.

1. 08 mag grey

08 mag grey New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The MPG Monitor on my new 2008 reset itself after I filled the tank.
    Is this normal and can it be set not to reset after every fill.
    I did a search and someone said that after 2004 Toyota changed it some it wouldn'r reset itself.
    I would prefer to do it myself.

:confused:

2. Jiipa

Jiipa MGySgt USMC (Ret)

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The miles reset after a fill-up, but the mpg average does not unless you manually reset it on the touch screen. I do not think there is a way to prevent the miles from resetting, but I'm sure someone will show us both how if I'm wrong.

3. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    the only way to get around it as far as I know is to only add a small amount of fuel such as less than $10.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Use one of your two trip meters. You can't change the MFD display except to reset all to zero.

5. badrufus

badrufus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think mine did the same thing that 08 mag grey is talking about. I filled up for the first time on Saturday and noticed later that the miles on the MFD had reset. I had intentionally not pressed reset because I wanted to have the MFD provide a cumulative, from mile 0, record of mpg. I couldn't find anything about this in the Owner's Manual. Are you saying that the mpg reading on the MFD is still cumulative, ie that it does not reset at refueling (unless you actually press "reset")?

6. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My 2007 resets the miles (distance) upon fill-up but continues the mpg as cumulative unless I press 'reset'. I wish I had known that from the beginning so it would be the cumulative since Day 1, but alas, I didn't figure that out until a few months ago. Still, now that I know 'how' to drive more fuel efficient, it's easier to keep the mpg average up. :)

7. 08 mag grey

08 mag grey New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks.....
    I just filled up and the mileage did reset but not the MPG.

Now I know..

8. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If it is true that the MPG doesn't reset, I can't say I think it is an improvement. The Consumption Screen MPG should reflect the current tank (as was true apparently until the 2008 MY). It is the best way to calculate how much gas you need to fill the tank rather than trusting the pump shut off will not stop early or fail to stop and over fill.

What they NEED is a 'Lifetime MPG' value stored somewhere that you can get to when you want.