1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Nav System E/W Heading Error

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by John Plunkett, Apr 27, 2008.

1. John Plunkett

John Plunkett BigBear1545

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am new at this and searched first but did not see this reported so hope this is not a dupe. When I select the mode to display my vehicle centered on the display screen heading up with the map moving under the bug, the upper left corner compass rose should point in the direction of travel. The compass heading is correct only when heading North or South - when I turn Eastward the compass heading shifts Westward. Turning Westward likewise the compass rose shifts the opposite way. Additionally, I have noticed that in this mode when I have restaraunts selected for display, they are incorrectly displayed left or right of my path on cross streets. Is this a known problem?

2. davidtm

davidtm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, it's not broken. When in that mode, the red half indicates north, regardless of the direction in which you're traveling.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Which side of the street a POI is on is determined algorithmically. There is not a huge database showing every address in North America, instead GPS NAV systems use an algorithm that takes the starting and ending numbers for a block and evenly distributes them. This will usually get you pretty close, but it's not exact. If the actual street numbers are goofy or don't follow consistent rules, then left and right can be backward, or you will miss by a few buildings. It's just part of the compromise.

Tom

4. John Plunkett

John Plunkett BigBear1545

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks, Davidtm. That makes perfect sence and I feel like a dummy for not thinking of it. I have not tackled the navigation manual yet to learn all the features of the system but it is on my to-do list.
    Regards, BigBear1545