1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Navigation - New Voice Commands

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ntog, Jan 16, 2008.

1. ntog

ntog New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The 2008 Prius Navigation System includes voice commands for inputting an entire street address using the command "Address" even while moving. Same for POI's. Another poster provided a web link to a nice demonstration of many of the features: Toyota Navigation System

However, all the Navigation Command lists I have been able to find appear to be for older models that do not have the "Address" voice command. Could someone post an updated list of known voice commands for the 2008?

Thanks.

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My 2006 v5.1 Nav has the "address" command.

You speak the state, city, street, and street number. Then the Nav lets you set that as the destination.

The challenge is getting the Nav to understand the words. Try "Morro Bay" and see how many ridiculous cities she thinks you're saying...

3. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have gotten a little better in having the NAV understand my spoken address commands. I have found the key is to speak quite normally. Most people seem to speak way to loudly.

But I'm up for the challenge. I'd like to say the address for 'Morro Bay' :rolleyes: What state is it in?

Marvin

4. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Morro Bay is in California.

If I recall correctly, I have to pronounce it "Murrow, Bay" with a bit of a pause before the "Bay."

Of coures, since I live 20 miles north of Morro Bay, I rarely need the Nav to get anywhere in that town. But it's sometimes fun to fool with the Nav on the highway, just to see her come up with something as odd as "Helendale."

One disadvantage of living in California is that we've got LOTS of cities. Think how lucky the folks in Rhode Island are!

5. ntog

ntog New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: New Voice Commands Listing Still Needed

Well, thanks for letting me know that the "Address" command is not new to the 2008...and has been around a while. I thought it was new because I didn't have it in my 2005 (or maybe I just didn't know I had it!) Also I didn't have "Nearest" command that the 2008 has. But does ANYBODY have a complete list of all the voice commands. The lists on this board that I've been able to find do not include the "Address" or "Nearest" commands. Can someone please direct me to an up-to-date list of all voice commands that applies to 2008 (and perhaps beyond 2006) I didn't get the "quick guide" so perhaps they are all listed in there. If so, I'll push my dealer to get me that guide. Many thanks.

6. Priusmeus

Priusmeus New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Here they are from the 2008 Navigation System Guide we just picked up our Prius this week : )

NAVIGATION MODE

-DESTINATION-
    Go Home
    Address
    Delete final destination
    -MAP OPERATION-
    Show map
    Zoom in
    Zoom out
    -GUIDANCE HELP-
    Repeat guidance
    Arrow guidance
    Turn list guidance
    Turn by turn guidance
    Resume guidance
    Stop guidance
    Intersection guidance
    -SCREEN PREFERENCES-
    Single map
    Dual map
    Compass mode
    -VOLUME-
    Louder
    Softer
    -POI-
    Nearest "________"
    ATM
    Airport
    Amusement park
    Bank
    Barber shop
    Car wash
    Coffee house
    Convenience store
    Department store
    Dry cleaning
    Ferry terminal
    Gas station
    Golf course
    Grocery store
    Historical monuments
    Home and garden
    Library
    Parks
    Pharmacy
    Post office
    Restaurant**
    Rest area or rest stop
    Specialty food store
    Stadium
    Theatre
    Tourist information
    Video rental
    Zoo
    Hide icons
    **Nearest "_____" Restaurant (American, Chinese, Fast, Italian, French, Japanese, Mexican, Seafood, or other) food or restaurant may be interchanged

TELEPHONE MODE
    -CALLING-
    Dial by number
    Dial by name
    Dial
    Cancel

AUDIO MODE
    -MODE-
    Radio
    AM
    FM - FM 1 or FM 2
    SAT
    CD Changer
    -FUNCTIONS-
    Audio on
    Audio off
    Next track
    Previous track
    Seek up
    Seek down
    Next disc
    Previous disc

CLIMATE CONTROL MODE
    -TEMPERATURE-
    Automatic air conditioning
    Automatic air conditioning on
    Automatic air conditioning off
    Raise temperature
    Lower temperature
    Warmer
    Cooler
    "_____" degrees (65-85)

HELP

7. ntog

ntog New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Many, many thanks for this posting.

8. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Also look in the Navigation system Quick Referrence Guide, that came with your car. Its a small booklet, and they are all listed there.

9. ntog

ntog New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As noted in my prior posting...I didn't get the quick guide when I bought my Prius. The dealer is supposed to be getting me one. And it wasn't clear to me whether the quick guide had all the commands...or just a summary of the most used commands. Also, the various command listings on this board do not appear to have been updated -- I guess what we need is a complete listing of commands by model year.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sort of off topic, but if you have extra time on a trip, it's fun to pick the shortest route and see where Jill sends you. Doing this, we have taken little quarter mile detours through small towns and in and out of places we would never see otherwise.

Tom

11. ntog

ntog New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dealer today told me about TOYOTAiGUIDE.COM where the toyota vehicle docs are being located. Unfortunately, the Prius docs are not yet there HOWEVER since the navigation system is the same...you can find the complete automated Navigation Guide tutorial and what I was looking for: the Quick Start Guide. Just click on Camry Hybrid (until they get the Prius loaded there), choose "Navigation System" and then choose "More on Navigation." Dealer didn't know why my 2008 Package 5 didn't come with the paper copy...but no problem now that I have it online.