1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 New Key Fob Ordering Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by tracy ing, Jun 17, 2022.

1. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From my supplier...

The part number you ordered was 89070-47180
    The part you need per VIN is 89994-47061

So I have a 2008, it has the KEY button under the dash.
    I can use my existing fob and start the car without placing it in the slot.

So what is the difference between these two fob part numbers
    Is one of them not compatible with my 2008 and the keyless start (not in fob slot)

Trying to make sure I get the right thing that will let me buy a token and program a key to the slot and the smart entry. There is no master key right now and the RFID chip is missing in my existing fob so i cant use the slot to start car.

Attached Files:

2. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So my local toyota guy says that cheaper key is NOT for smart entry even though this other site that has my vin states it is smart entry.
    who is right ?

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I guess I would say in my world if I can return it who cares that's coming from Amazon or eBay or something like that probably so that's coming from a parts store they're going to say it's an electrical part and once it goes out the door you own it that's generally how this works in the world today I don't know if it will work electronics manufacturers should know or they've taken a good guess or just bite the bullet and buy the Toyota dealer part and pay the extra money from what I understand the slot is just an amplifier for the signal of the keyless entry smart key SKS system and that's what it says on the back of that slot

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    On your original key fob flip it over is the Toyota logo silver or black that makes a difference whether you have SKS or not and all this kind of nonsense if you have the key fob and the person has lost the RFID chip inside of the fob then I guess you have to go through all this nonsense that you're talking about all the cars I've gotten the fob was assembled both the board and the little RFID chip are in place all I was doing was cracking the remote to put a new cover on the RFID chip and the board with new buttons so just a new housing apparently you don't have the RFID chip that goes with your car so you have to do this dance if my car would start I wouldn't even be thinking about any of this and I didn't know personally that the fob had to be in the slot for the car to start my SKS 09 Prius non-tourer will start with the key with the fob in my pocket or the fob anywhere in the car or on the car but not much further like I can set it out on my trash can right next to the car and the car will start and if I move it if you feet I think it'll code and go off or something like that I can't remember what I did the last time I tried that but I do not have to ever be in the slot matter of fact my fob is rarely in the slot and it all works fine I walk up to the car touch the door it unlocks I don't have to remove the fob from my pocket none of that

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    89994-47061 is the correct key for your car. The other one (key1) is for remote lock/unlock, but not SKS even though the details say W(Smart Entry). This is obviously an error, it should say W/O(Smart Entry).

Tombukt2 likes this.
  6. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i dont think the slot is an amp for sks, the sks is i think in the center console

i do amazon too, for the returns, problem is, i have no idea if amazon is a true toyota fob new and unused, too many clones out there

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I can't post a picture here it's just too much trouble I have a slot laying on the floor of my '09 right now that came out of an '08 non-SKS car didn't have the buttons on the door handle none of that nonsense just an open and close remote as far as I know I might even have the remote on my '09 and this '08 car both of the slots when I unscrew them from the back of the panel they're mounted to and flip them over they have a white label that says amplifier something to do with amplifier for something as a matter of fact I'm walking out to the car now I'll read you what the label says on the back of the slot since I can't put a picture of it the slot that's in my '09 is the same I swapped the two slots and they both work so I don't think SKS has much to do with the slot I could be wrong this thing says on the back amplifier immobilizer Toyota 08 model 628399-000-24 KTY maybe and it's just a slot with the screw holes and the plugs on the back and you just drop your remote in there I'm holding it in my hand right now now I'm throwing it back on the floor of the car when I swapped these two slots between my '09 which is an SKS car the non-SKS slot amplified my signal and did whatever it's supposed to do so I took it loose and put my '09 back in the '09 car knowing that it seems to be working correctly

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Doji above apparently already looked and figured out what the problem is and stated above I don't know what the amplifier does the amplifier amplifies the signal coming from the fob whether it's SKS or not I don't think that would matter for the amplification purposes so the other sensors around the car do their job or whatever this business is about all I was saying is all I did was move my RFID chip and board from one key fob to another my new key fob does not have a silver logo on the back I used my original back with the new fob it fits so I would remember it's an SKS car and also the buttons on the door make that so

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My replacement came from Amazon prime from a seller who has sold many . I just moved my internals to new exterior plastics I had no issues w fob or slot fob just looked like shiet

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The key slot really has nothing to do with the question at hand. The slot in conjunction with the RFID chip in the fob acts as an authentication primarily for when the fob battery goes flat. It still works, of course, if the battery is not flat. To all intents and purposes, the slot part of the jigsaw works the same in SKS and non-SKS cars.

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I wouldn't think it would make any difference if it's a Toyota fob what you may need is a programmable RFID chip or a way to get the RFID chip for your system that's in your car now to you to put in the non-toyota fob the Toyota fob is not going to come with the new RFID chip I don't believe it's just an SKS ready fob that has the little cutout in the bottom for the RFID chip to sit in they both take the regular green board that holds the battery with the red button and the unlock and lock button and a space for a third button which I don't have on mine so my van has the third button to open the center door my fake fob had the slot for the RFID chip the fake Bob was so well made my SKS back which was in perfect condition slides right on and locks to the fake new fob and that is what I have

12. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok so I just ordered the silver back one which i KNOW is the one I need 199 bucks shipping tax toyota dealer
    I am not willing to take a chance on all that other stuff out there, I have read the fine print on some of them and they are used equipment in new plastic cases, I would use that as a backup but I am trying to get ONE real master key for this car as it lacks one, and the RFID is missing from what I do have lol.

My 2005 has a real silver back one, it has two actually, so I am lucky on that one.

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  13. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yep sounds about right because you have no RFID chip for the one you're fooling with so there you go I guess you're saying the one you're ordering for $199 has an RFID chip in it and somehow it can be programmed to work with the car that you don't have an RFID chip for sounds good to me I would just be happy to have a remote that unlocks the car and locks it SKS is just another thing I don't know what SKS is doing for you and that car but apparently you like it so then I would think the remote you have now without the RFID chip it does unlock and lock the car get you in and out of the car and the car starts with it not in the slot Cool mine does the same thing I didn't know it had to be in the slot I just thought it had to be on my person or within 12 ft of the car to start and if it's 12 ft and outside of the car and you drive off well there you go The car will stop or not work or do something but good luck I hope it all works out you'll eventually get it somebody has to program that chip or do something so you'll have to pay them a fee or however all that works I know people go on this journey and do chicken dances and all kinds of stuff they're terminology just haven't had to do it yet I usually wind up with a remote that at least unlocks and locks the car and that's okay I tend to not even have that with me

14. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Right, this was the heart of my question, I suspected that most of the other places have INCORRECT info posted, even the dealer I bought from has a webpage and it also says that non sks key fob for less money is an SKS key, what STOPPED them from ordering was my instruction in the order MAKE SURE THIS FOB HAS A RAISED SILVER TOYOTA LOGO ON THE BACK. They read that and stopped the entire order, eventually, just now, they stated that the cheaper key is NOT smart entry. and thats a toyota dealer, not amazon or some web site selling god knows what lol.

15. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's great I hope it works I know that I had an RFID chip in the key of my motorcycle and I set it up to New England New Hampshire I think the guy cloned my key sent it back to me ready to rock the blank was $12 and his fee was another 12 to program the key is $25 I thought I was living in heaven other people were talking about it was going to cost hundreds My key was broken off in the slot All I had was the RFID chip in the top of the key which is on my key ring I removed the broken piece from the cylinder and sent the broken piece plus the top of the key to him and he sent me back my broken key and a key that was all in one piece and ready to go was a great thing it's all lock and key in New England Great people Great service fast

16. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So here's my question to all the key fob people or experts if I have a black backed remote that unlocks and locks a non-SKS car it does not have an immobilizer in the key fob if it's not SKS is this correct and if it is correct then since this remote only unlocks locks the car and provides me with a real metal key if I need it by sliding it out if I try to leave without this remote will the car start work and run just like normal I just won't have a key or is the regular remote also going to keep me from not starting the car when I don't have it with me or in the car or is that just an immobilizer function. I didn't get to try this when I owned a non-SKS car is why I'm asking and it seems like in Gen 3 everything is SKS or immobilizer I don't know if you could even order the car without it unless you were a city service or something?

17. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, but you can lose your SKS functionality and have to put your fob in the slot to get your car started. That happened to me when I first got my Prius a decade ago after I failed to add a bad FOB via chicken dance. Someday I'll figure out how to recover that function!

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't understand the 'yes, but' part.

What you've said falls in line with exactly what I stated. Your situation fails into the fallback scenario. When you lose the SKS functions, you can still start the car by using the fallback option which is to put the key in the slot.

19. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    and you can lose your slot functionality and only have sks when you buy a car and they took the fob apart to move to a new shiny case not knowing it had an rfid chip that was supposed to be moved to the new case too

20. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, that is a whole different ball game.

#20 dolj, Jun 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2022