1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 P0A93 with 202,300+ miles - Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Snagtooth, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Snagtooth

Snagtooth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello all,

I am looking for some advice or alternate takes on the not so uncommon P0A93 code that popped up on me today while on a 45 mile highway trip. I was able to limp home carefully since I wasn't far, but had I known what I was dealing with (could not pull code until home) - I probably should not have driven the car at that point. Fortunately I was about 15 minutes or so from home.

I was planning on selling or trading the car in within the next 6 months or so, but was waiting to see what the car market would do after the first of the year. I was planning to have the rear brakes done and possibly the front shortly after within the next couple of weeks. Being a divorced condo dweller now, I don't have the tools or the garage space to really do these things myself so I would likely be going to the dealership or another local shop to have these done.

So my dilemma that I am debating - do I sink another $1,000 to $1,500 into a car with a trade-in value of $1,800 or so only to possibly get rid of it. Do I have the inverter pump fixed first and hold off a bit on the brakes (probably be OK to do so) and maybe keep the car longer? Or maybe just get it all fixed and drive it longer than I intended until I run into traction battery issues?

Cosmetically, the car is in great shape other than one small rust spot on the wheel-well behind the mud flap. Mechanically, aside from the above items - as far as I can tell it is in good shape...albeit the mileage is up there and maybe the traction battery is lurking (?). I did just have the serpentine belt replaced, the transmission fluid drain & refill, coolant system exchange and engine coolant exchange - all in June. I don't know that the previous recall on the inverter pump will help me in my situation given timing and mileage - but awfully coincidental it happens after the coolant system was recently serviced.

So just looking for some alternative thoughts on what would you do or suggest while I debate the best course myself.

Thanks much!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This pump is really easy to replace, many youtube videos on it. Some can do it in under 30 minutes with basic tools. Part cost is around $120 from Toyota or $30+ for aftermarket part. You will need to get some coolant to top off when you're done.

3. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If it has the original catalytic converter, it alone is worth in excess of $1,000, so I think you are underestimating the current value of your car.