1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Pri Audio console stopped working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Gilbert, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Gilbert

Gilbert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This morning, I wanted to try out some new music and after turning the car on, I proceeded to eject a cd to make space for the new one and noticed al the cd indicator lights on the radio were OFF. Pressed the power button first, and nothing. Pressing any button had no effect, tried to put it on FM/Am/aux etc etc and did not work. Steering wheel controls still worked though. I could change station and modes and also control volume.

Before I’ve had problems with the volume knobs not working all the sudden (which seems to resolve on itself when it happens), but the rest of the radio was still operational.

I finally got it back ON by smacking it with my hand, and then all lights turned on and could use the buttons and stuff. Then I realized that I screwed up, because now the dealer will not see anything wrong with it when I take it to check what happened.

Anyone have any idea why would this happen or what causes this?

2. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),24 Venza Limit,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have a new one on order. Mine did everything wrong sometimes!!!

3. Theodore

Theodore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dear Sir!
    I have the 2008 Prius and I have the same problem..with the audio console.Today, I realized the same wrong thinks....'PWR' and all other buttons are out of operation....I can not eject any cd disk and all the lights of the panel are...OFF...I mean the green and red lights which indicate which cd drive has disk on it and which has not disk!
    So, Do I need to go to the TOYOTA service to change all the console with a new one????
    I believe, this is included in the TOYOTA quarantee???Isn't it?

Thank you!

4. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My radio is still on order so i will check in Jan if it has come in.

Strange thing is that the minute they ordered me a new radio it started working.

5. Theodore

Theodore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ohhh.....this is called 'AT TIMES FAILURE' in electronics!I would like to inform you that I have already done a power up reset with three fuses...AMP , DOMME and ACC......The multiconsole power is supplied through of these three fuses...but the same problem!
    What can I do....if the problem exists in stead of replace this with a new one?

Thank you!

6. Theodore

Theodore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am ready to open it and check it as I am an electronic engineer.....This will be my next step....!!!!

7. Oneaxepony

Oneaxepony Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Intermittent operation is a commom theme for '06-'09 radios. If the car is still under warranty have Toyota replace it. If is out of warranty you will find the OEM radio to be extremely expensive. I would get a used radio from a reputable auto recycler on eBay. In general these radios can be had for under $100. Many come with a warranty so you are not replacing one bad radio with another.

If its out of warranty it wont hurt to pull the radio out and look at it. Non-JBL radio faceplaces connect to the body using a pin type connector. It its possbile one or more pins aren't making a good connection so cleaining them up and re-seating them might help. As far as removing the radio there are instructions somewhere on PriusChat. I used them the first time I removed my radio. I can now do this in about 5 minutes.

8. Theodore

Theodore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dear Sir!
    The audio console is working correctly from today morning....!!!

Thank you!

9. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    If it is under warranty get it fixed! Seems Toyota went with the low bider to maximize profit. :mad: