1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius--82K Miles--Tucson, AZ

Discussion in 'Prius Cars For Sale' started by Priustoric Starship, May 2, 2023.

1. Priustoric Starship

Priustoric Starship Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One

Hello everyone. I’m a longtime lurker and I’ve taken a lot of great maintenance advice from these forums. I don’t think I’ve ever posted though as I’ve always found an answer to my questions in existing threads.

Selling my 2008 Prius with 82,404 miles. I was using it for work (sales–lots of driving), but I now have a company car.

I purchased the car in April 2021 with 50k miles on it. The car was a government-use car from new until 2021 for the County of Santa Rosa (CA). I am the second owner. It has been well maintained its entire life. The car has only seen CA and AZ, so no salt or bad weather conditions. Up to date on all maintenance.

Because it was a government-use car, it is an interesting spec. It sort of lines up with package 2, except it doesn’t have a rearview camera or smart key. It also doesn’t have an aux port in the center console.

I have only made 2 modifications to the car. I installed a USA Spec BT-45 bluetooth module and a visor shade (nav cap). The bluetooth module is 100% plug and play. No modifications were made to the wiring harness, so it is fully reversible. The visor cap uses 3 small velcro tabs with mild adhesive, but would easily be reversible.

Excellent shape both inside and out. There are minor scratches and door dings on the exterior and a few scuffs on the plastic trim in the trunk. Carpet and upholstery are incredibly clean. Honestly, the only thing not working properly is the trunk cargo cover, which is stuck in the fully open position (will not retract).

I’m asking $10,800 but I’m open to reasonable offers. Dealers in SoCal and Phoenix are listing them with under 100k for 12-14,000. I know that’s not necessarily what they are transacting for. But everyone on these forums knows how much life is left in this car. I just don’t want to let it sit while I drive the company car because I don’t think the traction battery would like sitting unused for long periods.

Clean title and it comes with 3 keys. For originality's sake, I do have the wheel covers and they will be included in the sale. I am willing to meet within driving distance (600 miles or so) to sell it, but I’m not driving that far to show it. Only to complete the sale. Reply here if you have any questions so that the answers will be public. If you are interested, PM me and we can exchange contact info and go from there.

Thank you,
    Robert

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Willing to drive 600 miles to sell it? 10 hours away?

3. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Robert. Well done. Nice Car. I bought my 08 from PHX and drove it back to Colorado. Price seems fair. Best of luck on the sale. It will be tougher with no SKS but I would try.(y)

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Probably for an extra $1,000. But he sounds like you would have to send him payment first.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No SKS base model 15 year old car. I think it's a bit of a stretch to want the asking price. There are so many things that can and will go wrong with a 15 year old hybrid

6. Priustoric Starship

Priustoric Starship Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Sure, I'm willing to make that drive. I generally drive a lot and love road trips. This has been a great road trip car. No extra charge. That's just a day's drive so I could make the trip in a weekend. No advance payment needed (I'd never pay in advance myself), but it's not uncommon to buy a car sight unseen. Usually, you would have it shipped at that point. I'm willing to go through extensive photo/video documentation and spend the time with someone who really wants this car. And if they're in a neighboring state, maybe saving them the shipping will be the deciding factor in the sale.

@JC91006, Sure, there are a lot of things that can go wrong with a 15 year old hybrid. But there are a lot of things that can go wrong with any car regardless of age. Also, my feeling is there is a reason you still see so many second gens on the road. One must weigh the mix of age and mileage in terms of what could go wrong, and regularity of maintenance is also a factor in my opinion. I've always said I'd rather have a high-mileage old car than a low-mileage one because sitting is bad for all the rubber, belts, hoses, etc. I was a little worried by the low mileage on this car when I bought it, but now it has 2 years with quite a few miles under its belt so I can confidently say everything is working as it should. That's no guarantee a sensor won't fail 2 weeks from now. Hopefully, anybody looking at a used car understands that.

I have a feeling there are still people out there looking for a clean second gen. When I got this car, I passed up on many third gens at a lower price to get this one. Nothing against any other gens. The second gen just has a different appeal for some people.

flim, bisco and JC91006 like this.