1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius and CAN/OBDII Scan

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AzWxGuy, May 22, 2011.

1. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm new to the group, and just recently made the jump to hybrid technology due to a long commute and purchased a used 2008 Prius. It has rather high miles (67K+) but was obviously well maintained. I have had various other vehicles over the years and am an avid home maintainer. In keeping with that, I recently purchased a Craftsman Scan Tool which meets the CAN specification as well as OBDII. I read the instructions cover to cover and hooked it up to the vehicle. Of course, I didn't expect to find any DTC's, and that was true. This scantool has the capability to read live data, which is what I checked next. Satisfied with the lengthy list of values, I disconnected the reader. Later that day I went to take a drive and was surprised to find some ominous trouble lights on. From left to right, there was the red Brake light, yellow VSC, ABS, and brake system warning light. User manual warns to not drive the vehicle. I made an appointment with a Toyota dealer close to my house for the next day. Took it in and described the problem, and the service representative gave me the "eye" like I had done something wrong. Thirty minutes later the technician is telling me I shouldn't have been able to cause what went wrong. The codes were as follows: C1203 Engine control system communication circuit malfunction, C1345 Not learning linear valve offset abnormality, and C1392 Un-correction of a zero point of the stroke sensor. So, my question to the group, anyone else have troubles with aftermarket code readers? I have used Actron readers up to this point without any problems. Anyone else using a Craftsman reader? Thanks.

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I can't say anything about the Craftsman, but I have heard that there is an aftermarket key programmer that will cause similar problems. Your Actron is probably just as good as anything else. To get more data, you need something that will access proprietary CAN codes like a Scangauge, or pro-level tools like AutoEnginuity w/Toyota, Snap-on, or Techstream.

1 person likes this.
  3. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it happens again I would disconnect the negative terminal of the 12 volt battery for a few minutes and only take it to the dealer if the codes persist.

4. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Yup. Tried that. Warning lights persisted. The service rep said if I was willing to try what I did again to see if I could duplicate the problem they would clear the codes for free. I elected to quit fooling around with something that isn't broke.