1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius and Satellite Radio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Dahgu, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Dahgu

Dahgu New Member

Hi all,

I'm taking delivery of my 2008 Mag Grey Touring Prius next week, loaded with all the goodies. However, after reading the forum here, I'm tempted to forgo the Sirius factory integration given the apparent text-display limitations and other things.

The Prius will have an aux input, but I will obviously lose any wheel controls, etc., when adding say a Stilleto. Not sure how I feel about that.

Do any of you out there have a '08 with the Toyota Sirius added to it? I'm curious if it's better than some of the "don't buy the factory sattelite" stories for previous year Priuses (Prii?). :D

Thanks!

Dahgu...

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dahgu @ Sep 20 2007, 05:49 PM) [snapback]515523[/snapback]</div>

It's the same as it is in previous years.

3. stukid

stukid New Member

I just installed a XM Direct with VIAS interface in my '08 Prius, and all steering controls work.
    On the AUDIO screen, if you tap "TYPE", the XM will cycle between different genres and channel types.
    I can tap a preset and control those thru the steering wheel. So far. I think its been a great addition!

4. snakeman

snakeman New Member

We just bought a 2007 Prius last month and one of the conditions of delivery was installation of Sirius satellite radio (gotta have my Howard Stern) with the integrated kit. Here are my thoughts/experiences:

1. The audio is crystal clear beautiful and the pre-sets were much easier to deal with than setting up my old Sportster unit.

2. It's great to have the integrated unit because I park in Boston every day and don't want anything at all visible anywhere in the car to discourage smash and grabs. There's no dash mount, cords, visible, or anything else.

3. The techs at Acton Toyota did a great job installing the antenna.

4. At first, I was a little annoyed by the lack of text messages on the stations, but I find that, after a month, I don't miss them as I'd much rather have the energy screen or the navigation screen up. Putting a Stilleto in your car won't fix this readout problem as it will be very hard to look at while driving. Besides, I've heard just as many horror stories about the performance of the Stilleto as I have about the dealer-install set.

In short, I love the standard dealer installed package for what it is. I occasionally miss the text, but I got by without reading my radio for years so I don't miss it that much and having everything integrated and installed by a professional (meaning it's backed by a warranty for install as well as manufacture) is great peace of mind.

Good luck with your '08

5. ecelis

ecelis New Member

I already had a Sirius receiver from my previous car (got it free at Radio Shack about 9 months ago), so I installed it in the console where the AUX input is. I ran the antenna wire under the floor mats to the back in stuck the magnet antenna on the back roof near the hatchback. I do not have control for the stations but for me it works fine because I only listen to one station (classic jazz). I have volume control and can switch between CDs FM, AM and AUX with the steering wheel control. The antenna wire is not completely hidden but it does not look too messy. I guess it depends whether you switch a lot between stations or not. The less expensive way is to install the Satellite Radio yourself (if you don't need to switch stations frequently).

6. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm in the process of getting pricing on a '08 Prius. Can you elaborate on this not displaying text? It sounds like the song title/artist doesn't display? How about the station names? Are you saying just the station number shows up and nothing else? I currently have Sirius in my other 3 cars and could probably not live without it now that I'm used to it. :(

Mike

7. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mingoglia @ Oct 27 2007, 12:39 PM) [snapback]531277[/snapback]</div>
    All that is displayed on the screen but the station name is limited to 5 characters and the song/artist info is limited to 10 or 16 characters depending on the radio you choose.

8. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Oct 28 2007, 11:58 AM) [snapback]531634[/snapback]</div>
    That doesn't sound too bad. I ended up picking up my Prius yesterday but decided to hold off on the Sirius until I found out more. He said it's added after the fact anyway so I figured I could always go back.

Mike

9. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mingoglia @ Oct 28 2007, 01:52 PM) [snapback]531665[/snapback]</div>

The dealer will hose you, badly. (is there a good hosing?)

You're much, much better off buying it from here on the site's store or Metro, a user here.