1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius Base Model Third Set of Replacement Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Bob1105, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Bob1105

Bob1105 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was somewhat arduous finding new tires for my 2008 Prius Base Model. I wanted to pass along my experience for any others who may be ready for new tires.

My priority is safety and handling; I am in San Jose California so there are plenty of rough roads and the occasional rain makes for slick surfaces.

The low rolling resistance tires that came with car (Bridgestone or Goodyear?) gave about 45.2 mpg, but handling was terrible - go over a rough patch of road and traction control kicked in. Wet roads meant some spinning pulling away from a light. The tires were rated for 25K miles, and they lasted 25K miles. In retrospect, I should have junked them before they wore out.

I replaced the original tires with Bridgestone Turanzas. The Turanzas were recommended by the tire store as the tires that were on the 2008 Prius touring model for better handling, 50K mile life, but 2-3 mpg less. As "promised", I wound up with about 42.5 mpg and much improved handling. The Turanzas lasted a little more than 50K miles, but for the last 15K miles, there was noticeable deterioration in handling. The Turanzas were still better than the original tires. At 80K, I reviewed the available and recommended tires and went with Michelin Defenders 185/65R15. At $100 each, they were up against the Bridgestone Ecopia (@$84) and various other less expensive tires, which all promised high mileage.

After a month and a variety of driving (including rain!), handling with the Michelins is excellent - better than the Turanzas. After about 700 miles of mixed highway and city, I am getting 43.7 mpg. With all the driving on the Michelins done with the winter gasoline mixture, the new mileage numbers may be a little low.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great write up, thanks!(y)

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Your mpg numbers sound about right. The Defenders are a decent trade-off tire. I'd lean towards a tire with a bit more mpg, maybe, but it's mostly an ego thing. The Defenders are rated well for tread life are they not. Likely you'll pull up the mpg with a bit more wear and getting outa winter.

4. Tennessee gal

Tennessee gal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

5. Tennessee gal

Tennessee gal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought the Defenders in November 2012 but I noticed I lost MPG and the dealer let me trade them back and I got the Energy Saver A/S. Glad I did. My mileage went back up to what it was. I can get 50-55 MPG average driving. With highway driving at 70, I still get 48-50 MPG. The tires are rated for 65K and that is exactly what I am getting out of them. I am ready to buy tires this fall. Dealership recommended Defenders but I probably will see again again about Energy Saver.

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do know that I really liked the Michelin Energy Saver A/S that I had mounted on the 2009 Prius. Too bad I did not get a chance to really see how they held up. Sold the car eight months later and bought the Gen III I am driving now.

7. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Ecopia 422s have been discontinued. Ecopia 422 Plus is the successor. I have them and they do give me slightly higher MPG. I could really tell the difference in these LRRs vs. the Integritys that were on the Prius. Coasting and gliding further. Although you will have to pump the pressures up to 42/40 because it feels squirrely on lower pressures.

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Had seriously considered the Ecopia 422 when I was shopping for tires when I got the new Michelins. If I had to buy tires today, I would consider the Ecopia 422 Plus right along with the Energy Saver A/S. Probably more so since availability is a little easier. It seems now a days if you want LRR type tires you always have to order them. But come to think of it, tires are like any thing else, a commodity. They come, and they go.

I also agree that the Gen II Prius seems to be well planted when the tires are aired up to 42 F and 40 R.

Ron (dorunron)

9. Tennessee gal

Tennessee gal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am finding that the Michelin Energy Saver and the Bridgestone Ecopia are being discontinued. You can get them now, but if you have a mishap with one tire, you may not be able to get another tire to have all tires matching. Are they getting rid of LRR tires or will they be replaced with a new version. Michelin is recommending the Defender and Premier A/S. I don't want the defender because I lost mileage with them.

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It looks like the Michelin Energy savers are being replaced by Michelin Premier A/S; and the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 are being replaced with Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 PLUS. These are both LRR, so no, LRR tires are not being dropped.

You have to weigh up cost, tread wear, grip and handling, and not just MPG.

When weighing all these factors, I'd be inclined to give Continental TrueContact a go as it seems to tick all the boxes.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Those two are not in the same league, for rolling resistance. Michelin acknowledges this on their website: they have a rudimentary (score out of 10) for "fuel efficiceincy". The Energy Saver A/S they rate 10, and Premier A/S are 9 I believe.