1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius - Dash Lights Fail Intermittenly

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sherryalexis, Sep 19, 2017.

1. sherryalexis

sherryalexis New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a used 2008 Prius Base almost a month ago. The car had several "moderate" problems. I took it back to the dealer several times and they fixed all of the problems.

However, for some reason, the lights on the dash don't come on sometimes! They've replaced the instrument cluster/combination meter and the 12V batter since the car was in my posession. But the problem persists. I have been using the quick fix of unplugging/resetting the 12V battery but it's starting to be annoying.

I've noticed that whenever I use my head lights at night, the next morning is when I have this problem. Sometimes the lights come back on on their own and sometimes I use the quick fix.

When the dash lights go off, the rearview camera doesn't work, the car doesn't beep when doors are open or in reverse, can't see gas, mph, etc. And the screen doesn't measure the mpg while this is happening. The car drives perfectly while in this state by the way.

Also, the power button LED light is red most of the time. I also have to force power off the car because it won't turn off on it's own. And the horn beeps slightly when pushing the brake hard or holding foot on the brake at red lights.

Has anyone else experienced this, know what the problem is and how to solve it?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#1 sherryalexis, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    still sounds like a 12v issue, are you up to testing it?

sherryalexis likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think it's because your headlights are on. Try turning them off during daytime, and you won't have this problem.

Alternatively there's a brightness setting wheel, on the dash, to the left of the steering wheel. If you turn that all the way up, it'll also solve your problem

sherryalexis likes this.
  4. sherryalexis

sherryalexis New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually do turn them off during the daytime. Would that cause the power button to be red and rear camera to fail too? All from using headlights?

5. sherryalexis

sherryalexis New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what I was thinking but the dealer just replaced the 12V.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the problem is, you're relying on the dealer, and we need feedback.